Changes are on their way! A new visual style cometh.

News concerning the site.

Re: Changes are on their way! A new visual style cometh.

Postby Wesley » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:54 pm

r035198x wrote:I don't suppose there are Bootstrap based themes on phpBB yet?
I think you will find Bootstrap based themes easier to maintain going forward especially if you use font-awesome and less with them.
Best I've seen (didn't look closely myself though) is http://shibulijack.github.io/proBoot/ which is boasting
HTML5
CSS3
Responsive
Fluid Layout and more..

Kind regards

r035198x(<------washes mouth for saying "php", washes mouth again for saying ...

The culture and ecosystem surrounding phpBB themes is a little... odd. For one of the most popular forum software packages out there, it's shockingly backwards in how it's managed. Themes for phpBB are hard to come by in the first place, and there are only two places that I've found that have decent selections (RocketTheme and ThemeForest). It appears that Bootstrap based styles for phpBB are only just now catching on with only a few in development... and only one that I can see that is finished (the one you linked).

Maybe some sweet day...
Wesley
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Zombie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 am

I get that the theme is called "metro," but why's it say that in the big blue bar at the top, to the left of the "FAQ" link?
Zombie

Postby Wesley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:03 am

Zombie wrote:I get that the theme is called "metro," but why's it say that in the big blue bar at the top, to the left of the "FAQ" link?

TL;DR I'm an idiot.

The Longer Story: To add advertisements to the site, I had to modify the code for the style. phpBB caches a lot of the content of a style so that instead of making database queries, static files can be served for commonly requested content. That means any changes to the style won't be seen until the cache is aged out and new changes are then written to cache. Unlessss... you flush all cache associated with the style.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?!

When you flush the cache for a style, phpBB unhelpfully and inexplicably removes the custom logo and replaces it with the default log for the style. I forgot about that "feature" and also didn't notice it subtly hiding up there in plain site. Someone pointed it out to me earlier and I fixed it. I'mmaderp.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Zombie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:07 am

Wesley wrote:
Zombie wrote:I get that the theme is called "metro," but why's it say that in the big blue bar at the top, to the left of the "FAQ" link?

TL;DR I'm an idiot.

The Longer Story: To add advertisements to the site, I had to modify the code for the style. phpBB caches a lot of the content of a style so that instead of making database queries, static files can be served for commonly requested content. That means any changes to the style won't be seen until the cache is aged out and new changes are then written to cache. Unlessss... you flush all cache associated with the style.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?!

When you flush the cache for a style, phpBB unhelpfully and inexplicably removes the custom logo and replaces it with the default log for the style. I forgot about that "feature" and also didn't notice it subtly hiding up there in plain site. Someone pointed it out to me earlier and I fixed it. I'mmaderp.

Interesting that phpBB does that. Thanks for the long version; I found it interesting.
Zombie

Previous

Return to Forum News and Events