We must be popular because now we have a spam problem

News concerning the site.

Postby Wesley » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:47 pm

In case you didn't notice, we've had some spam accounts sign up and one or two even got a live post in. Thanks to those who quickly reported it. I need to get to work on mitigating this. I'm going to look into some kind of better spam detection system in the signup process, but ideally you want to reject spam signups as low in the network stack as possible to reduce overhead. I've got some tricks up my sleeve so it's just another task on the to do list (you should see how big it's gotten; It skerrs meh.).

In the mean time, flag bad posts, and even flag users that seem... off. Most of them have gibberish names, but might even have some profile information filled out. I suspect some of the accounts are from some pennies-per-hour Mechanical Turk force of slave laborers. More news as events warrant.
Wesley
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: We must be popular because now we have a spam problem

Postby Edwards1984 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:49 pm

We need to be careful, it could be any...one of...us...I...don't feel well...I...

...*GACK!*...

HI WOULD U LIKE TO BUY SOME GATORADE?! GO TO DIS WEBSITE N FIND OUT! :D
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Sara » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:30 am

Edwards1984 wrote:We need to be careful, it could be any...one of...us...I...don't feel well...I...

...*GACK!*...

LOL
Love always wins.
Sara

Postby Thunder Peel » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:42 am

I know what you mean. That Thunder Peel shows up everywhere.
Thunder Peel

Postby ha'penny » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:13 am

Edwards1984 wrote:We need to be careful, it could be any...one of...us...I...don't feel well...I...

...*GACK!*...

I have to go to a website to know what I want now?
I cna't decide what I want? :(
ha'penny

Postby smackus maxiumus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Wesley wrote:In case you didn't notice, we've had some spam accounts sign up and one or two even got a live post in. Thanks to those who quickly reported it. I need to get to work on mitigating this. I'm going to look into some kind of better spam detection system in the signup process, but ideally you want to reject spam signups as low in the network stack as possible to reduce overhead. I've got some tricks up my sleeve so it's just another task on the to do list (you should see how big it's gotten; It skerrs meh.).

In the mean time, flag bad posts, and even flag users that seem... off. Most of them have gibberish names, but might even have some profile information filled out. I suspect some of the accounts are from some pennies-per-hour Mechanical Turk force of slave laborers. More news as events warrant.

I keep flagging this Wesley guy, because he's a huge distraction to all the ladies. Also, he's a bit ... off.
smackus maxiumus

Postby Edwards1984 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:35 pm

OK, this is starting to get ridiculous.
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby little_tigress » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm sorry. we're deleting them as fast as we can. I guess the spam filter for phpBB pretty much sucks, but I know Wes said he's working on something.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Return to Forum News and Events