Did you notice a site outage? Here's what happened.

News concerning the site.

Postby Wesley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:18 pm

If you tried to get to ChattyChristians.com this morning and early afternoon, you probably noticed that it was unavailable. Never fear, the site and server are just fine. However, the DNS provider for ChattyChristians had a DDoS attack against it that caused name resolution to slow and fail. When you type ChattyChristians.com into your browser, it has to translate from a name to an IP address and that process uses DNS. If someone slows the DNS infrastructure down by throwing unimaginable amounts of garbage traffic at it, then name resolution fails and your site appears to be gone. The reality is, it's still there. You just can't get to it by name.

The provider is recovering after a few hours of downtime so you should be able to get to the site, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few pockets of interwebs that will fail occasionally for the rest of the day.

Bonus points if you can name the DNS provider that went down today.
Wesley
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Did you notice a site outage? Here's what happened.

Postby Wesley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:13 pm

We should now be back up for good. I switched ChattyChristians.com's DNS over to a different system.
Wesley
Site Admin

Re: Did you notice a site outage? Here's what happened.

Postby Wesley » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:42 pm

After I said that above, there were still some problems that I noticed. Now I think we're back. No really...
Wesley
Site Admin

Return to Forum News and Events