ChattyChristians.com now has a mobile theme!

News concerning the site.

Postby Wesley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:11 am

ChattyChristians.com now has a theme that automatically targets mobile devices! This includes iPhones, Androids, Windows Phones, Blackberries, and tablets.

This is a theme, and not an app, so this is totally native to the board, software, and server. For the geeks out there, this theme is also served to search engine bots rather than the full theme because the mobile theme is much lighter weight, loads less elements, and is faster which makes search engines happier and rank sites higher. (It also helps that the site is hosted on a dual socket, eight core server that isn't doing much else right now)

If you prefer the full theme to the mobile theme when you're on a device, you can look to the bottom of the page and choose the Desktop theme (scroll the picture all the way down to see what I mean):

Mobile Style.PNG
Mobile Style.PNG (117.01 KiB) Viewed 3136 times

I've got a few more improvements to make to it, like adding the "Hello Bar" to the mobile theme. (If you've come to the site when you weren't logged in and seen a red tab, and thin red drop down element encouraging you to register, that's the "Hello Bar") However, it's pretty much done and ready for mobile users. I do have plans to add support for the TapATalk app if you prefer using that for browsing forums. I do not think I'll be using Forum Runner after some research into it versus TapATalk. I hope to have that squared away sometime in this coming week.

Let me know if you have any troubles with the mobile theme. I've tested it a little bit on iPhone, Android phone, and BlackBerry tablet. (Thanks little_tigress!)

EDIT: Okay, so it looks a little funny when you browse deeper into forums and threads. I think the Good AdWords are breaking the proportions. I'll look into it...
Wesley
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ChattyChristians.com now has a mobile theme!

Postby Sara » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:44 pm

You are a good forum master! :D
Love always wins.
Sara

Postby Ethnog » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks so much!
I used it last night!
Thank you!!!
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby Amber » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Feedback: I switched to the mobile site on my iPad mini for this thread but the full site is easier and better looking on it. I will try my cell next and see how it looks.
Amber

Postby Edwards1984 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 am

Is there an app? :P
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Heather » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:51 am

I tried it today :)
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Postby Wesley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:32 am

Sara wrote:You are a good forum master! :D

So good I only tested the home page and didn't notice that all subsequent pages are broken because of the dimensions of the AdSense ads! :P I'll get on that this week.

Heather wrote:I tried it today :)

General thoughts?

Ethnog wrote:Thanks so much!
I used it last night!
Thank you!!!

You and Deacon were one of the biggest reasons I added it. I know that you specifically rely on your phone so much.

Amber wrote:Feedback: I switched to the mobile site on my iPad mini for this thread but the full site is easier and better looking on it. I will try my cell next and see how it looks.

I've heard that from others too, that iPads are so large that the full site is just fine. I hadn't considered if Minis were large enough too. My mom has one of those, I should steal it for an afternoon. Your cell will look great on the home page, but look broken on all other pages. For now. :|

Edwards1984 wrote:Is there an app? :P

There will be! I hope... I'm looking at putting the TapATalk plugin into the forum. at a much future date, I'd love to have a custom TapATalk app in the app store just for this site, but that will be very advanced in our development as a community. We'll need a lot more pageviews and contributing members to make that worthwhile. ;)
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Sara » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:50 am

Hey, one person can only do so much within a certain period of time. The point is that you listen and handle things. :)
Love always wins.
Sara

Postby Ethnog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:25 am

Sara wrote:Hey, one person can only do so much within a certain period of time. The point is that you listen and handle things. :)

YES!
I wish I could help but I know so very little about these things and just learning how to do mod stuff.
Thanks Wes, I'm always on my phone now so its easier for me.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby Wesley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:21 am

Ethnog wrote:Thanks Wes, I'm always on my phone now so its easier for me.

Okay, sounds good enough for now, but I really need to double down and figure out how to make it look like it's supposed to. More news as events warrant! =)
Wesley
Site Admin

Return to Forum News and Events