What's the deal with ads on the site?

News concerning the site.

Postby Wesley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:22 am

There are ads being served on the site in a few places. So what gives? It's not free to operate the hardware that the site is on. Also, past and future improvements do cost a little bit of money (for example, the theme that the forum is skinned with was a paid improvement). ChattyChristians.com isn't in jeopardy of shutting down by any means, but a little extra monetary support would be nice.

Here's the skinny on the ads, as of Oct 2013:

What kinds of ads are being run on the site?

Currently the only ad network that is used is Google AdSense. Check out the ChattyChristians.com privacy policy and scroll down to the "ChattyChristians.com Advertisment Privacy Policy" for the latest information that Google, or any other ad network that we use, requires us to use.

I use AdBlock, Ghostery, disconnect.me, NoScript, etc.

Great, then you'll never see an ad!

Wait, you're not mad?

Nope. Ad revenue is largely generated through clicks on ads, and only marginally earned through ads being seen without being clicked on (AKA an impression). If you actively use AdBlock or some similar tool that removes advertisements from websites, you're probably not the kind of person who would click on an ad anyway.

Yes, disabling AdBlock but not clicking on ads will generate ChattyChristians some cents for every hundred or so page loads, but we're not that miserly. :D

I like ChattyChristians.com so I'm going to click on ads!

Please don't (but thank you for the thought). Only click on ads that are for products and services that you truly want to know more about. Clicking on ads without true interest devalues the clicks and makes the site worth less to potential advertisement stock. It's also "click fraud" and can bring some potentially bad effects on the site as a whole.

I saw an ad that I don't think is appropriate.

Google AdSense gives some options for blocking certain ads from being shown on the site. If you see an ad that you think isn't appropriate for the site, tell us about it and we'll see what we can do. If you think the ad might be okay for the forum in general, but it just annoys you, you can mute ads by looking for a small "X" in one of the corners and clicking it:

Mute ad.png
Mute ad.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

Hey, I know of this great ad network…

Contact us at support@chattychristians.com or join the forums and message a site admin. I've got my eyes on a few niche Christian advertising networks, but for now Google Adsense is the way we're going.

Can I donate in some way?

No, one has to be very careful with the term and concept of "donations" and ChattyChristians isn't set up for that in a business sense.

Is there anything I can do or buy to support ChattyChristians?

There's no subscription service, merchandise, or anything similar for people to buy or pay for. The best support we can get is simply inviting people to the forum and following us on social networks. The more the merrier!
Wesley
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What's the deal with ads on the site?

Postby smackus maxiumus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:08 pm

You should try to make some good bank on this site and buy a Lambo. Then let me drive it.
smackus maxiumus

Postby Wesley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:13 pm

smackus maxiumus wrote:You should try to make some good bank on this site and buy a Lambo. Then let me drive it.

I'm more a Ferrari guy; Lambos are squirrely to handle. If I ever get my red Spider, you can totally burn through a pair of tires. :D
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby smackus maxiumus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:44 pm

I saw an ad for a dating site for Chinese women and the woman in the ad was well-endowed. Now I feel funny like when you're climbing the rope in gym class. Is this normal?
smackus maxiumus

Postby Wesley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:01 pm

smackus maxiumus wrote:I saw an ad for a dating site for Chinese women and the woman in the ad was well-endowed. Now I feel funny like when you're climbing the rope in gym class. Is this normal?

I've seen similar dating ads in some of our threads on relationships. Some of them were borderline suggestive and just don't fit us. I've now blocked the entire dating category.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby smackus maxiumus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:02 pm

So no Chinese women for me? :(
smackus maxiumus

Return to Forum News and Events