Apologies for database unavailable errors; fixes applied

News concerning the site.

Postby Wesley » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:13 am

TL;DR I suck, database tuned, automation applied.

The longer story: You may have noticed, when attempting to get to the forum, that there were occasionally some errors to the tune of "Error establishing connection to the database." I tossed Chatty on an out-of-the-box install of MySQL (okay, okay, MariaDB. Sheesh.) and left it at that, also sharing the database process with a few other low traffic sites on the same server.

A few things weren't tuned, and oomkiller would handle low memory situations by murdering MySQL. That should, hopefully, be a thing of the past now. Also, I dropped in some automation to handle things just in case there was more murdering, there can also be some resurrecting.

Carry on. (But also nag me if things still don't work)
Wesley
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Apologies for database unavailable errors; fixes applied

Postby sketcher » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:25 am

I was actually wondering about that. It was kinda surreal not being on the admin end of that for a change.
sketcher

Postby Wesley » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:27 am

Just logged in after a very long absence. Everything has been working.

Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Wesley » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Proverbs 16:18 anyone? Looks like a recent update changed some of the nomenclature involved in the tools I'm using and MariaDB was unable to start. If anyone reads this, I'm testing a change I made in one hour which involved taking the server down for a few minutes. Thou has been warned.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Wesley » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Okay, changes made. Should be good to go, until the next apparently undocumented change to config file syntax. <_<
Wesley
Site Admin

Return to Forum News and Events