Cecil the Lion

Keep the gloves on, be familiar with the forum rules, and bring your critical reasoning skills.

Cecil the Lion

Postby Wesley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:06 am

I'll say it: I'm fed up with the furor over Cecil the Lion. I feel bad that such a terrible thing happened. The situation seems a little shady, like at least one person knew they were doing something that they shouldn't have been. Maybe the guides took some money and ran. Maybe the hunter himself knew it was wrong. Who knows.

However: who cares? We've got bodies stacking up like cordwood in places that most first worlders can't even spell. We've got families squatting in abandoned buildings. We've got raging drug problems on our doorstep. I'm sure all of us can point to one human being that we are related to that is a shell of a person that could use a helping hand, a lot of prayer, and some tough love or gentle encouragement more than what we do (mea culpa, I am the man, I have sinned).

I've heard several variations of excuses that tend to run:

"People are intentionally malicious! Animals are innocent! People make their own decisions and are more capable of avoiding and recovering from bad situations! Animals are easier to abuse and just don't know what's going on!" I find those sentiments sickening.

That viewpoint is entirely untenable for someone who's a Bible believing Christian. Animals were created with the intent that we keep careful and loving watch over them (yes, even to the extent of killing them for food, but in a careful and respectful manner, insofar as killing something can be done that way). The worldwide slaughtering of rare, endangered animals that serve no domestic purpose (you can't tame a lion for good purposes, you can't eat a lion very well, etc.) is horrible and displeasing to God if the Bible is any guide to His thoughts. However, God's thoughts are much more slanted towards humankind than animalkind.

So now that I've spewed my strident opinion

What say ye? Am I washed up, worn out, and just generally a tool? :lol:
Wesley
Site Admin

Cecil the Lion

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Cecil the Lion

Postby little_tigress » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:43 am

The Cecil story is sad and it bothers me on a couple of levels (and the things I've read trying to excuse or justify what he did disgust me, honestly). One thing that bothers me, however, is that Cecil was, apparently, a big tourist attraction for the area. Which means he generated income for neighboring villages. And now he's gone, so that attraction is gone. So people are directly hurt by this crime.

However, yes. I do very much agree that it's wrong how much attention it has gotten world wide when I'd hazard to guess that a good 90% of us had never heard of this lion before.

The "people suck. Animals are innocent" argument... I hadn't heard that before you said anything. But it doesn't hold up. Animals are innocent, yes. They should be protected in all reasonable ways, yes. But people aren't automatic monsters deserving of a cruel death by merit of being people.

I dunno. The world is an ugly ugly place sometimes.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Wesley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:22 am

little_tigress wrote:The Cecil story is sad and it bothers me on a couple of levels (and the things I've read trying to excuse or justify what he did disgust me, honestly). One thing that bothers me, however, is that Cecil was, apparently, a big tourist attraction for the area. Which means he generated income for neighboring villages. And now he's gone, so that attraction is gone. So people are directly hurt by this crime.

Maybe I'm a cold hearted fiend, but really that doesn't even bother me a ton either. I get it about the revenue, but... life happens. The animal could have died naturally, or been hit by lightning, or turned and eaten a tourist and had to be put down. Things happen, prepare for the adversity through diversity.

little_tigress wrote:However, yes. I do very much agree that it's wrong how much attention it has gotten world wide when I'd hazard to guess that a good 90% of us had never heard of this lion before.

Note that there's a new counter argument that's being attempted for things like this. What I've seen very recently is that the fallacy of relative privation is quoted. I don't think that being annoyed at the publicity that Cecil is getting is actually committing that fallacy though. The fallacy of relative privation states that you should dismiss or ignore something because another thing that's worse is happening. I'm not saying that we should dismiss or ignore the Cecil situation. However, there's a disproportionate focus and reaction to the situation from societies that ostensibly value human life and human rights. The same people who are destroying this dentist's daughter's co-owned dance studio through bad publicity are the same ones who yawn at sex trafficking of minors (and probably don't even know that the American Super Bowl is likely the single biggest sex trafficking event in North America). Oh but Cecil got shot and died a 40 hour death. Heck if you want to get all ragey about something innocent being killed, look at sex slaves that were coerced or tortured into their situation.

Okay, I'll move on from this. :D

little_tigress wrote:The "people suck. Animals are innocent" argument... I hadn't heard that before you said anything. But it doesn't hold up. Animals are innocent, yes. They should be protected in all reasonable ways, yes. But people aren't automatic monsters deserving of a cruel death by merit of being people.

I've heard that a lot when I half-jokingly talk about movies where people get killed, murdered, sawed in two, their corpse set on fire and a picture sent to their little kids... and movie goers just shrug. But as soon as the villain kicks the dog people get outraged. Kill the dog? Now there's fainting in the aisles. The same people that sit through all the Saw movies get all clutchy-pearls to see Old Yeller's ending. The usual justification I hear when I bring it up is that "Oh animals don't know what's happening. They're trusting and innocent. They're just confused and only know they're being hurt." While, yes, I get that... it still seems lame as all heck.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby little_tigress » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:57 pm

This seems relevant.
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
little_tigress

Postby mina » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:21 pm

It's sad, cruel, and it shouldn't have happened, but I think the outrage and trending was a bit too far. The dentist seems like a jerk, but I don't want to ruin his life or murder him over this either. He should face some consequences though. I think there are bigger things in the world to be upset over. And you are right; the big things people should be upset over……people do nothing to change them, but some lion we've never heard of gets killed and let's leap into action and burn down this guy's dentist practice and call for his head on a platter. It just seems off balance.
mina

Postby Heather » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:55 pm

I have nothing new to add here except to say that I agree with what's already been said. I don't think people are purposely practicing hypocrisy either, though. We live in a world where a lot of our information comes from online sources, especially exposure on social networking sites like Facebook. The problem here is that we tend to subscribe to material that provides a confirmation bias rather than sites that challenge us to think in new and critical ways. Depending on what their political position is, people may not actually be exposed to the horrors that are happening to the rest of humanity. It's exhausting to devote our emotional energy to something for very long, so it makes sense that people are in an uproar about this but appear passive about other things. I hope this makes sense since I've been fighting off My Little Ponies while typing it.
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Postby little_tigress » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:26 pm

HEATHER!

I've missed your posts here

</hijack>
little_tigress

Postby Ethnog » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:03 pm

I don't think the outrage has gone far! The person who did it is a horrible person who kills animals for sport and I find it disgusting! Should they burn is office down? No! But he should be punished for his crimes.

I hope this continues so that more people stop innocent killings! More things get done! And don't think news like this is only uproar. It's news like this that jump start organizations.
This is why we have Amber alert! We have funds to help children who have been abused. We have organizations set up to help animals! We have people all around the world fighting to stop sex trafficking.

Maybe it gets tiresome to hear bad news all the time but this is the world we live in and honestly the people who say they don't want to hear it anymore are usually the ones who do nothing.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that these people are any of you.

And sorry LT some people are monsters. If they became like that automatically or not! And that man is a monster.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby Ethnog » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:31 pm

And not to sound like a sarcastic B but Wesley I'll tell you a story you might not have heard.

A 15 year old boy from my city asked his 8 year old neighbor to come over to play with him. He tied her up, sexually abused her, hit her in the head several times, stabbed her, and then dumped her in the trash can.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby little_tigress » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Some people are absolutely. I was referring to Wes's comment about the argument that people are all evil and animals are all innocent. Not denying that there are evil people in this world.

I hate what he did so much. But I don't like this strange twist of pitting people against animals either. Murder is wrong and people don't deserve to be killed by merit of being people. It's almost lifting the value of the animal's life over the value of the person's.

But as for the dentist, I'm not OK that the outrage has put his life and his family's life and financial wellbeing at risk. That is, IMHO, going too far. But I do hope he faces criminal charges for his actions. And I hope the same for his guides that lured Cecil out
little_tigress

Next

Return to News & Politics