I confronted every man who catcalled me for a week - and it didn't end well

Keep the gloves on, be familiar with the forum rules, and bring your critical reasoning skills.

Postby little_tigress » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:50 pm

I think she's braver than I am. I would never stop and talk to those creeps, especially if I were alone. But it does make for an interesting experiment

http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/confron ... -end-well/
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: I confronted every man who catcalled me for a week - and it didn't end well

Postby sketcher » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:06 am

I wouldn't recommend that to any woman who doesn't carry a firearm.
sketcher

Postby little_tigress » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:12 am

Yeah. I wouldn't either.

But at least now those claims from cat callers getting all offended on Twitter and such because they're "just trying to be friendly" well now we can point to this and say, "orly?"
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
little_tigress

Postby Wesley » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:36 am

I've always thought of catacalling as being lewd words or whistles. Not saying hello or whatever. I get that in those circumstances they're gunning for more than a returned "hello." So I'm a bit confused at the recent use of the term catcalling which seems to have been suddenly expanded. I've been wondering about myself. I'll say hello or chat someone up. In a line at a store? Pick out something interesting about a person near you and you can generally get them to talk! But I can do it with both males and females. Guy with an 11th Airborne tattoo? Dude's got some stories to tell. Girl in scrubs with an RN badge? Dudette's got some stories to tell.

...okay females in my age range with no wedding ring on get a higher chance of me small talking them. :lol:

I've had it happen to myself. A few weeks ago I had a bewildered few moments during some unexpectedly friendly small talk with a female. Me: "...uhm, yeah I'm doing good. And yourself?" and then a few moments later as I had moved on I thought "Ohh... right, okay. I think I get it. Derp." Did I get catcalled? Should I be outraged? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby little_tigress » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:47 am

Catcalling is different than that. I don't equate the guy who is trying to start a conversation (an actual conversation and treating me like a person rather than a piece of meat) with me to a cat caller.

But I've experienced (more in the states than here) walking down the street and having guys make comments at me ( not trying to start a conversation) talking about my body or looks, etc... That's pure intimidation and harassment. I don't even acknowledge those people and keep on walking. That's catcalling.
little_tigress

Postby little_tigress » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:56 am

This is a good example. It was referenced in the article. I literally cringed the first time I watched it because I know what that feels like to get that kind of attention from strange men. And it's not flattering or comfortable.

http://youtu.be/b1XGPvbWn0A
little_tigress

Return to News & Politics