times when the gospel isn't appropriate

Keep the gloves on, be familiar with the forum rules, and bring your critical reasoning skills.

Postby ulu » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:13 am

do you think there are times when "sharing" the gospel does more harm than good?

reading yahoo comments today about the US considering tightening the northern border after canada's terrorist hit. Lots of posts saying the southern border is a bigger issue etc
1 guy posts a reply talking about Jesus being the life, truth , only way etc. along with some gospel quotes from the bible.
Completely unrelated to the topic

To me, his post makes christians look like fools- I can't imagine someone reading that amongst those other posts and being changed by it.

thoughts?
ulu

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: times when the gospel isn't appropriate

Postby little_tigress » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:42 am

In that situation, I think his heart was probably in the right place, and he was right in that only Christ can bring real peace. I was reading about the shooter this morning and all I really thought was how sad it was that this guy never came to Christ and how yesterday never had to happen if he truly knew Christ. And it is possible that his gospel post *could* reach someone who needs to hear it.

However, that being said, I think it sounds like that person allowed their zeal to overcome their sensitivity and compassion. People are angry and hurting. And they do need Christ, but they don't need Christ shoved down their throats. If he cannot reply to the conversation at hand then he may be doing more damage than good. And someone who is unable to stick to the topic at hand like that, I think, comes across more like a cult member than anything else.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Wesley » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:53 am

Proverbs 25:11: A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.

God is omnipotent and omnipresent. He could present the gospel to everyone, everyday. He doesn't. Christ's words in Luke 4:25-26 seem appropriate:

25 But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land;

26 But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow.

God saves us and commands us to "preach the gospel to every creature", but that command is framed in a Bible full of admonitions to remain wise and appropriate (stated in many different ways). So yes, you could say that there are times when the Gospel is not appropriate to bring up, typically when mentioning it is so wildly out of context to the surrounding situation that it would bring shame to it.

And yes, there are plenty of stories of people who were challenged by some random "crazy person" about the gospel and it all worked out because one schizo street preacher leg dropped a nine year old and screamed "REPENT!" and that nine year old went on to become a famous preacher... but the Lord is skillful enough to pull good out of things that are sinful. We have to ultimately go by his word, not our own anecdotes, and his word says that there is a time and a place for everything, and true wisdom is knowing where those places are and when those times come. :D
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby MacFall » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Depends on what you mean by "the gospel". Praying for people to be comforted in tragedy is sharing the gospel. Threatening people with hellfire and damnation if they don't say the sinner's prayer is... dubious. And in between there's various expressions of it that may or may not be appropriate in a given circumstance.
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Return to News & Politics