creationists will be gone in 20 years

Keep the gloves on, be familiar with the forum rules, and bring your critical reasoning skills.

Postby little_tigress » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:59 am

❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: creationists will be gone in 20 years

Postby Wesley » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:37 am

What he has mischaracterized, misunderstood, poorly described, and straw-manned before labeling it "creationism" will probably still be around because there are people who like to be led around by silliness like that, no matter the time period.

The creation science that falls outside of his cartoonish portrayal will also be around, but for better reasons than the first.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby MacFall » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:03 am

I'm gonna go with Wes on this. It doesn't matter whether Creationism as he presents it is right or wrong, or if it's wrong, how wrong it is. People will believe it because they want to, not because they've been convinced. I think that's true of everyone, really. Logic only persuades insofar as it makes sense within the narrative one has chosen to believe. A ➞ B, B ➞ C, therefore A ➞ C doesn't prove anything if two people in an argument can't agree on what A and B mean in the first place.

Anyway, I don't think he's talking about me, since I believe in evolution with the exception of the human race, and it doesn't matter to me whether Adam was literally created from dust, or ex nihilo, or by some other means (or even whether Adam was a historical person or a metaphor for that matter), because I don't think that's the point of the Genesis narrative. I'm not exactly a theistic evolutionist, but I'm not what Nye would call a "creationist" either, and frankly I don't think that his anti-religious bigotry can account for people like me.
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Postby little_tigress » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:52 am

I think Bill Nye has realized thats he's no longer culturally relevant so the only way he knows how to stay in the spotlight is to bash people he disagrees with. Which completely undermines his scientific authority, IMHO.

Interesting though, Mac. I don't think I've met anyone who holds to quite the same view as yours. Or maybe I'm just not as aware of all the various viewpoints as I should be.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby sketcher » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:29 am

Bill can keep dreaming. Ken Hamm's little project might be gone by then, but creationism neither begins nor ends with him.
sketcher

Return to News & Politics