Toronto Mayor has had a "come to Jesus" moment, and yet...

Keep the gloves on, be familiar with the forum rules, and bring your critical reasoning skills.

Postby little_tigress » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Rob Ford claims to have stopped both drinking and taking drugs: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/rob-ford-says- ... 27485.html

Its funny though (or perhaps more sad?), putting aside the obvious victim mentality he shows in the above link (which, from my experience with people who struggle with similar addictions, is classic addict behaviour), I read this article immediately after I read that one which talks about how Ford knocked over a female councillor in a fit of anger, leaving her with a fat lip. Some "come to Jesus" moment.

he really does need prayer.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Toronto Mayor has had a "come to Jesus" moment, and yet...

Postby Wesley » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:02 am

The colloquialism "Come to Jesus moment" seems to be a new thing. Or maybe a new old thing. I even had a client talk about how his tomatoes were so good that eating one gave him a "Come to Jesus moment." Nevertheless, I'm not too quick to say "You came to Jesus? Well what about when you afterwards did..."

Both Old Testament (pre-indwelling Holy Spirit) and New Testament (post-indwelling Holy Spirit) are replete with examples of how an individual is quite capable and not necessarily restrained by the Holy Spirit from committing any sin except apostasy. Maybe he did "come to Jesus" in a salvific way (seems dubious based on the use of the term, but hey, it's possible), or maybe he didn't. The biggest and most sure indicator would be wether he confesses Christ as atonement. The general tack of his life over time will be a good indicator too, but if this is a true belief in Christ, it's too early to start wondering based on sinful outbursts which might be simple unsanctified moments that we all have.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby little_tigress » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes, thats a good point. Sanctification is not instantaneous.

I just personally have a hard time believing it because he has a history of saying/doing stupid things and apologizing and then getting way with said stupid thing. This is the biggest scandal of career, so now not only has he apologized now he's bringing Christ into it. But... If he's sincerely sorry because he realizes there's sin in what he's done, which theoretically should explain the apologies and why he turned to Christ at all, then I have trouble figuring out why he still plays the victim card and doesn't seem to think he has to take any personal responsibility for his actions. A true conversion necessarily leads to some kind of humility (Is there anything more humbling than realizing our sinful nature and need for a Saviour?). And I don't see that in Ford.
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
little_tigress

Postby MacFall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:29 am

I'll believe this rich young ruler has come to Jesus when he gives away all of his politically-gotten gains to the poor.
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Postby sketcher » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:20 am

Given the way I've heard unsaved people use that phrase, I'm not entirely sure it is meant to be taken literally.
sketcher

Postby little_tigress » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:14 am

I don't think I've heard this exact phrase being used by anyone before this. I wasn't aware this was a "thing" now. I must be living under a rock.
little_tigress

Postby ulu » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:59 am

Better not win this fall.
ulu

Postby little_tigress » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:55 am

I think I will

A) laugh. loudly.
B) Lose all respect for Toronto

If Rob Ford wins again. Although I could see a lot of people voting for him just for the entertainment aspect.
little_tigress

Postby ulu » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:07 am

I love politicians because:
they tend to be very honest people
they tend to be selfless, always putting the good of the country ahead of their own desires

ya, that's it
ulu

Postby little_tigress » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:45 am

If you can't trust a politician, who can you trust?
little_tigress

Next

Return to News & Politics