Two good roommates and plenty of room

Share what you're thankful for! Tell everyone how the Lord has blessed you.

Postby Spunkn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:07 am

Really happy about the way my living situation worked out for college here. Only have 2 roommates and we're living in a house that they usually stick around 8-10 people in so yeah. It's pretty wonderful compared to a dorm. We also have no RA which for me, being older, is nice as well. So far I get along with my roommates very well and they seem very open to communicating about problems and such that arise. So overall that's been a huge blessing.
Spunkn

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Two good roommates and plenty of room

Postby Edwards1984 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:41 am

If you find passive aggressive notes, RUN!
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby mina » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:42 am

Sounds like a great arrangement! That's awesome!
mina

Postby Spunkn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Not really a praise but...hopefully eventually it will be.

The house we're in was actually was a female house before apparently, and the ones that stayed here last year gave the landlords a really bad impression of Moody students, which is really unfortunate. They showed us about 8 wooded chairs that were broken, 2 nice reclining chairs, and told us about some other things that they did. They lied about breaking the stuff, and wouldn't replace it. (Not saying women houses are worse than men's, just in this particular case)

They said the other university ,which they have houses for, usually parties but at least they clean up after it and don't lie if they break something, where as the Moody girls did not last year. What a sad testimony towards non-believers in this particular case.

So my roommates and I are going to go out of our way to give them a better impression this year and do everything we can to keep the house in good shape. We're also going to try and help them do some landscaping and physical labor.

So hopefully at the end of the year we will have given them a better impression of Moody students again.
Spunkn

Postby FLGator_Chicky » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:40 pm

I think that sounds like an awesome plan. We rent now, but have been homeowners in the past, so we care for our rental like we would if we owned it. Our landlords are so grateful and keep telling us they hope to have us as long-term renters (think several years). We take care of minor repairs, especially if it was something we did that caused the damage. They, of course, look after the major appliances - which was one of our biggest draws for renting for now.

I have heard plenty of horror stories from friends who own rental properties and I just can't wrap my brain around it. Why wouldn't any sane person want to treat things properly if they are the one living there? Yeah, you get to leave it behind and have no responsibility for it when you're gone - but you are the one who has to live in the wreck you make of the house on a daily basis! Does. not. compute.
FLGator_Chicky

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:18 pm

Sounds great!!!
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Postby little_tigress » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Sounds like a great situation, Spunk!

FLGator_Chicky wrote:I think that sounds like an awesome plan. We rent now, but have been homeowners in the past, so we care for our rental like we would if we owned it. Our landlords are so grateful and keep telling us they hope to have us as long-term renters (think several years). We take care of minor repairs, especially if it was something we did that caused the damage. They, of course, look after the major appliances - which was one of our biggest draws for renting for now.

I have heard plenty of horror stories from friends who own rental properties and I just can't wrap my brain around it. Why wouldn't any sane person want to treat things properly if they are the one living there? Yeah, you get to leave it behind and have no responsibility for it when you're gone - but you are the one who has to live in the wreck you make of the house on a daily basis! Does. not. compute.

yup, I`ve rented before and I`m renting now. so far the landlords here seem pretty cool, and the last landlord was also pretty great. i feel blessed when God leads me into a good situation. I feel like it would be both a poor a witness of bad stewardship on my part if I didn`t take care of my home. Maybe I don`t own this place, but it *is* my home. why would I treat it any differently just because I pay rent?

side note and slight hijack of Spunk`s thread for a little praise of my own :D The last roommate who had my room left holes all over the walls, so the landlord had to paint all over them. so the walls here look incredibly ugly right now. But the landlords are very cool, they`ve offered to buy the paint and even paint the walls for me if I want them too. All I have to do is pick out a colour. And they offered for the rest of the suite too if we want to repaint. But my roommate and her boyfriend and I have already decided not to put them to work. we`ll be doing the painting ourselves :)
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby mina » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:42 pm

I've rented before and always just tried to treat the property well. It's amazing to me how many don't. Now I own property that I rent out and right now I'm trying to find a good renter. The last girl was NUTS. For the most part she treated the property well, but towards the end of her lease, she damaged walls and floors just from being careless and the fact that she was nuts. I fear if she had stayed that more issues would have come up that may have led to her not treating the property well out of spite. I'm glad she's out, but it's been hard to find a good renter that you trust to not destroy things either intentionally or carelessly. So good renters that treat things well are rare and much much appreciated on the landlord's end.
mina

Postby Toro » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:01 pm

mina wrote:I've rented before and always just tried to treat the property well. It's amazing to me how many don't. Now I own property that I rent out and right now I'm trying to find a good renter. The last girl was NUTS. For the most part she treated the property well, but towards the end of her lease, she damaged walls and floors just from being careless and the fact that she was nuts. I fear if she had stayed that more issues would have come up that may have led to her not treating the property well out of spite. I'm glad she's out, but it's been hard to find a good renter that you trust to not destroy things either intentionally or carelessly. So good renters that treat things well are rare and much much appreciated on the landlord's end.

Im a good renter, well...... sorta......

see..... I do a lot of repairs myself...... but...... I ARE the Texas Chainsaw Carpet Massacre.... Image ...er.

If I live somewhere long enough, I do murder the carpet. It's one reason I am glad I am not married...... my wife would slaughter me. Image
Toro

Return to Praise