Neat experience doing Hospice

Share what you're thankful for! Tell everyone how the Lord has blessed you.

Postby Spunkn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:56 am

Been doing Hospice the last couple months and it really turned out to be an experience that taught me a lot and also gave me a lot of joy and also appreciate for the things I have.

I visited a man who is 58, has cancer and 3 years ago was told he was a 20% chance to live. After getting cancer, his wife divorced him and took everything. Pretty rough situation to be in. Naturally he was pretty down when I first started to talk to him, but gradually he started saying things like "I'm just glad to be alive" and eventually it became "I'm thankful God has kept me alive". I don't know if he made the decision to be saved or not, that's between him and God. But I do know that it's possible. It's really made me reflect on my own life and how a lot of times we take simple things for granted.

It was hard leaving him this last week, and he had tears in his eyes telling me over and over how much it meant to him that someone would take time to spend with him.

There were times I got caught up in trying to think of what to say, or how to present the Gospel, and things like that. But I think sometimes people just want someone to be there and someone to listen. The last day I kind of gave my testimony and I think we often underestimate how powerful each one of our testimonies can be.

But it was a great experience, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to do it.
Spunkn

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Neat experience doing Hospice

Postby little_tigress » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:00 am

Thats wonderful. I'm glad he had you. And I'm sure your pastor will continue to visit him alone. :)
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby FLGator_Chicky » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:16 am

Hospice is an amazing organization and all of the people who I have ever met who work for/with Hospice were equally amazing. It sounds like your experience has left you with a memorable impression, too. :)
FLGator_Chicky

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:23 am

That's beautiful!!!!

My paternal grandfather also began focusing on God as he was dying of cancer. It was a beautiful thing to watch his conversion. When he was in hospice I witnessed him interact with angels. Even though I had nothing to do with his conversion, it warmed my heart in ways words can't express.
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Postby Ethnog » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:20 am

I am so happy that this has been turning into a very positive experience for both of you. Praise God.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby Marycita » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:30 pm

So wonderful that you were there for him! Seems God really worked through you! :)

Also, side note - I think the whole concept of Hospice is so beautiful!
Marycita

Return to Praise