The Triune God

Share what you're thankful for! Tell everyone how the Lord has blessed you.

Re: The Triune God

Postby Thunder Peel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:13 am

Wesley wrote: Not the unforgiving, harsh, and vicious God that sometimes the fundamentalist churches can portray sometimes. :|

This is often the way I think of God, though I don't see that necessarily as a bad thing because it causes two big reactions within me:

1.) I'm reminded of the full nature of God. He is truly all-powerful and worthy of praise
2.) He takes sin seriously and so should we. Too often it's easy to take His forgiveness for granted and over time we can become numb or flippant about the sin that weeds its way into our lives

That kind of fear makes me more cautious about my steps and what decisions I make. If I think there will be negative consequences or if God will upset by what I do I'm less likely to do it. I want Him to be pleased and sometimes it can give extra incentive to go there when I think about the true level of punishment He can dish out at any moment if He chooses. :)
Thunder Peel

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Heather » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:52 am

Every day I am grateful for His Grace. Since learning about it just a couple of years ago, I don't know if I'll ever stop marveling at that concept.
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Postby Wesley » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:47 am

Amber wrote:We need a rep system so I can +1 this post.

It's on the list of to-dos. :D

Thunder Peel wrote:This is often the way I think of God, though I don't see that necessarily as a bad thing because it causes two big reactions within me:

1.) I'm reminded of the full nature of God. He is truly all-powerful and worthy of praise
2.) He takes sin seriously and so should we. Too often it's easy to take His forgiveness for granted and over time we can become numb or flippant about the sin that weeds its way into our lives

That kind of fear makes me more cautious about my steps and what decisions I make. If I think there will be negative consequences or if God will upset by what I do I'm less likely to do it. I want Him to be pleased and sometimes it can give extra incentive to go there when I think about the true level of punishment He can dish out at any moment if He chooses. :)

Yes, a full understanding of his wrath against sin is something to cherish. It's... not the light thing we can sometimes think it is. It also makes the grace of the cross to be seen as the enormous amount of grace that it is. When was the last time you heard a sermon on this verse:

Psalm 7:11 wrote:God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Thunder Peel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:07 am

Wesley wrote:Yes, a full understanding of his wrath against sin is something to cherish. It's... not the light thing we can sometimes think it is. It also makes the grace of the cross to be seen as the enormous amount of grace that it is. When was the last time you heard a sermon on this verse:

Psalm 7:11 wrote:God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

True. I realize my fear of God rubs some Christians they wrong way because they feel it's too fear-based (which is something I won't deny) but personally I would prefer to be terrified of God and tread carefully than take Him too lightly and become complacent.
Thunder Peel

Postby little_tigress » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:09 pm

His faithfulness.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby little_tigress » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:32 pm

His strength. It doesn't matter how weak I am, He is strong.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Spunkn » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:19 am

Mercy, it's a wonder He doesn't strike us all dead instantly.
Spunkn

Postby Marycita » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:37 pm

little_tigress wrote:His faithfulness.

This is something I am grateful for today (and always, but I'm especially pondering it this morning :) )
Marycita

Postby Sara » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm thankful that He allows us to start new every day!
Love always wins.
Sara

Postby Edwards1984 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:38 pm

God has truly answered some prayers recently in regards to supporting Mary and I and making sure we're OK up to the end of the year. For that I'm truly grateful. I can't praise Him enough, truly truly. :D
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

PreviousNext

Return to Praise