Look and see what God has done

Share what you're thankful for! Tell everyone how the Lord has blessed you.

Postby little_tigress » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:57 pm

This is a topic that came up last night in my Bible study. My study leader made a comment about how there will be times that he will be praying for God to performa a miracle that only He can do, and he will be praying fervently for days, weeks, months, etc... and then God decides to act but his response to that is all to often shallow. A quick "Thanks!" and then he`s moved on. And I really identified with that. My attitude is all too often very self-centered and I am guilty of taking it for granted when God works in my life and not giving Him the praise he is due for those times.

sooo.... with that in mind, I thought I`d start a topic where we could discuss ways in which God has clearly been at work in our lives so that we can all worship Him together for those things.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Look and see what God has done

Postby little_tigress » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:11 pm

No takers? OK. I'll kick things off.

I have two examples that come to mind immediately.

1) My health. Most of you know that I have fibromyalgia (a chronic pain and fatigue disorder if you don't know what it is) I used to be in extremely bad shape. The pain used to be so bad in my knees that they'd suddenly give out on my and I'd have trouble walking. I wasn't even able to wear a watch or "heavy" necklaces for the longest time because the weight would cause me terrible pain. The exhaustion was unbelievable. I've had terrible insomnia for basically as long as I can remember (the brain of a person with Fibromyalgia is not wired properly for deep restorative sleep) I used to pray constantly that God would heal me, and at some point I just stopped praying for healing because it dawned on me that if God wanted me healthy, all He had to do was speak one word and I'd be healed.

It hasn't been a spontaneous healing for me, but there has been enough healing to this point that I know it can only be God. My pain levels are drastically down. I now go so long between my flareups that I start questioning whether or not I actually have Fibro. My Insomnia was cured a year ago. I still have the odd bad night here and there, but I can now count on falling asleep at night when I go to bed (if you've ever had insomnia, you know what a precious gift the promise of sleep really is). My energy levels still aren't exactly going to help me keep pace with partying teens, but I am doing *so* much better than I was even two years ago.

2) Moving to a new province on my own. I've wanted to move here for years. I don't actually remember the first time I thought to myself, "I need to live in BC." It seems to me its always just been something I've known - I was supposed to move here. But my health and other issues always prevented me from taking that thought too seriously. Heck when Jan 1, 2013 rolled around, as far as I knew, I'd still be living at my old address on December 31, 2013. It wasn't a serious consideration to me at the time that I actually could make the move this year.

Then something happened in March, which I won't share here. It completely destroyed my world. And during a moment shortly thereafter, where I was pleading with God to get me out of there even for a weekend to get a break, a friend of mine from BC messaged me at that very instance and asked me to come visit her for her birthday. I initially said no because I didn't think I'd get the time off work, but then thought, "no... that was too coincidental."And asked my boss at the time, and she was only too happy to give me a couple of days off. So I went. That weekend was extremely restful and healing for me. And I remember going out one afternoon for a walk by myself to explore the area and just spending some time in prayer. I just asked Him to open the doors for me to move here if it was His will because I just felt so strongly like I belonged there. A month and a half later, I was back in town for interviews.

Buuut... the story doesn't end there. Only a week or so after I returned home from interviews, my car had a major breakdown. I took my car in to get looked at, and all day long they were calling me. They were finding one thing after another that was wrong and needed quick attention, the most serious of which they told me meant it was only a matter of time before there was an explosion (I can't remember the specifics because mechanical stuff just goes over my head =)). So I had literally been sitting on a ticking time bomb. And slowly my moving fund was being eaten up. It actually did take my entire moving fund to fix my car. So I emailed back all my families from the interviews and told them that I was unable to move after all because of this situation. One family emailed me back and told me that if that was the only reason I was turning them down, they'd be happy to loan me the money to help me with my moving costs. And my current family at the time offered me more work than I was expecting.

I hemmed and hawed right up until the very last moment about what I needed to be doing - literally. The day before I moved, I remember thinking, "I can still call it off. Lots of people will be extremely upset with me, but I can call it off." It seemed like this door was opening and my future was right in front of me. Buuut... remember when I said something had happened in March? The fallout was still very much being felt at home and I knew I was needed to help deal with that. The idea of spending the next year, however, living with that made me feel awful and deflated and hopeless. I talked it out with my family and they told me to go if thats what I needed. And I was encouraged to get away from the situation. And as conflicted as I felt because I knew I could help even just by being around during a difficult situation, though I have no power in that situation, that strong sense that I belonged somewhere else never left me. So I moved.

God has blessed me with the best roommate I could have asked for. A safe street to live in. A beautiful house. Money enough to cover my bills. And family and friends who are extremely supportive. I still have no clue why I've always felt so strongly led to live here, but I'm still fairly new to the area. I'm still meeting people and figuring out how this city works. But I definitely feel that it is God's hand that has led me to this very spot in this very moment. Acts 17:26 has been popping into my mind. Its no accident that I wound up living here. This is my home, for now at least, and I know He has me here for a reason. I'm just curious to see what that reason is.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Spunkn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:55 pm

Probably too many for me to list, and probably a lot of them I've forgotten.

About 85% of my life so far has been God picking me up off the ground when I fall flat on my face over and over....and over due to depression. Some of it was my choices, other parts of it were events that I went through. The bulk of it I would say though was simply a chemical imbalance that I didn't know existed.

I made it through most of High School with almost straight A's even while being depressed. God gifted me with the ability to excel at school even though I couldn't function normally in a lot of other ways.

Dropped out of High School, but God put someone in my life (through the internet) who encouraged me enough that I got my GED instead of giving up.

Continually put people in my life both online and offline to encourage me after dropping out of college twice due to more depression.

Gave me a loving family, who often didn't know how to deal with me at times, or help me, but they did their best to try.

Allowed me to go to one of the best Bible colleges you could ever go to. I might be a little biast, but I believe there's some truth to it. After a very painful experience that brought back years of depression, picked me up again yet another time and gave me the most wonderful gift that gave me hope again.

God gave me Oakley, the siberian husky, and when I was asked if I wanted a siberian husky I immediately felt the words form into my mind "I want you to have this because I love you". It definately wasn't my own thoughts.

I almost gave up coming here to Moody a couple weeks before classes started because of something else that happened. Normally it would have sent me into another huge depression, but God prevented that from happening.

So here I am. Still alive. To be honest I never really was serious about committing suicide and it confused me at times, because in my own mind I had every reason to do it. But there was always that part in my mind that said "What if God can still save you? What if He does have a plan for you?", I also thought a lot about the heartache that would cause the people closest to me, and in God creating me to be a very sensitive and compassionate person I believe that prevented me from ever doing anything.
Spunkn

Postby Zombie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:01 am

Great insight, Tigress, and one that I am loathe to admit I fall short on so much.

I was born with spina bifida myeleomeningocele (from the Latin, "his legs ain't s'posed to bend that way"). In short, I should be bound to a wheelchair for life with the mental capacity of a three-year old (no jokes from the peanut gallery). Instead, I walk with a "pigeon toe" limp and--not to brag, except on God--I have an IQ of 140. I have been able to walk, run, take tae kwan do, and participate in the Boy Scouts for four years. Despite my weakness, I have been able to have life in ways I and medical science could never think possible.

In times when I have not appreciated life for superficial reasons, I have attempted suicide. I should be dead dozens of times over from that, and yet I have been protected from myself in ways that can only be explained by God's interference. At other times, I have been twenty feet from lightning bolts that struck the ground, been "inspired" to take turns on the road out of my way only to see a car run a red light where I would have been, and fallen accidentally from a thirty-foot structure onto hard clay and gravel head first, only to walk away with three stitches for my chin. God has watched over me as I played a game of paintball where I thought bugs were whizzing past my ears, only to find out later they were rifle rounds.

God has protected my family from the fire that destroyed 500+ homes in Black Forest, when the flames came closer than a quarter-mile from the house. I've been redeemed from addictions, protected from rival gangs, and from violent protesters. I have been saved from prison for conspiracy to commit murder against those I hated, and therein I found the redemption necessary to get the help I needed for my violent, despairing thoughts. I am now friends with those I sought to kill, and the Lord has redeemed those relationships for His glory.

Now that I face a diagnosis for bipolar disorder, I have a mentor in my life who is guiding me through those waters--someone God brought into my life to keep me grounded when mania makes me believe I'm God's gift to man, and who lifts me up when I feel like everything is meaningless. I have my health, my family, my friends, my home, and opportunities that are exploding in front of me with potential for great earthly and heavenly success. Though I have seen death, I have seen life, and I have seen what it means to live it abundantly.

In Christ alone, my hope is found

He is my light, my strength, my song

This cornerstone, this solid ground

Firm through the fiercest drought and storm

What heights of love, what depths of peace

When fears are stilled, when strivings cease

My comforter, my all in all

Here in the love of Christ I stand

There in the ground His body lay

Light of the world by darkness slain

Then bursting forth in glorious day

Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory

Sin's curse has lost its grip on me

For I am His and He is mine

Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death

This is the power of Christ in me

From life's first cry to final breath

Jesus commands my destiny

No power of Hell, no scheme of man

Can ever pluck me from His hand

Till He returns or calls me home

Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

Isaiah 48:10 wrote:Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver;
I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.
Zombie

Postby mina » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:36 am

Just recently I was offered a business opportunity, but needed extra money for supplies. I was praying about it and a school that hardly ever calls me; called me for 2 weeks of solid work. So I had a ball park figure in mind that I needed for supplies, but with the sub work I was able to make double the amount I needed. It was a nice little blessing; like God was saying, I know what you need - here have double.
mina

Postby Ethnog » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:54 pm

That was a great LT thank you for sharing! God is so good I sometimes want to just cry with happiness!
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Return to Praise