Turning off email notifications?

Have a question? Need some help from a staff member? Post here and you'll be helped as soon as possible!

Re: Turning off email notifications?

Postby Ethnog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Heather have you tried all the suggestion posted in the thread? If not we will figure something else out!
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Heather » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:48 pm

I missed the part about subscriptions so I just tinkered with that and hope that works, sorry and thank you!

Wes, I'd leave things the way they are since you do have options for us to change our settings :)
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Postby Edwards1984 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:36 am

I did all the above and still got emails. I had to go and delete the subscriptions themselves (in the subscriptions section) in order to stop receiving emails to the offending threads.
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Marycita » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:41 am

I also did all of the above and am still receiving emails
Marycita

Postby Wesley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:43 am

Heather wrote:Any suggestions? I've followed the above steps and I'm still receiving email from responses to topics I've posted in.

Edwards1984 wrote:I did all the above and still got emails. I had to go and delete the subscriptions themselves (in the subscriptions section) in order to stop receiving emails to the offending threads.

There's two steps to not receive emails for topics that you've participated in. The first is to unsubscribe from existing threads that you've already posted in. The second is to change the setting that automatically opts you in to topic notifications so that any future threads don't get subscribed to.

To kill off existing subscriptions, you'd go to your User Control Panel >> Overview Tab >> Manage Subscriptions Sub Tab >> Mark all posts and then click "Unwatch Marked"

To make sure you're not automatically opted in to future threads that you get involved in: User Control Panel >> Board Preferences Tab >> Edit Posting Defaults Sub Tab >> Notify me upon replies by default: No.

Heather wrote:Wes, I'd leave things the way they are since you do have options for us to change our settings :)

Wellll, we'll see. I made a fiat decision to notify by default and did some SQL and PHP hacking to get it to work. It was based on my own experiences and frustrations with boards, and how I really liked a certain other Christian Forums default to notify me via email of topic replies. I never guess that it would be so unpopular though. Hmm...

I'm also looking into how I can get the actual content of a reply or private message into the notification email so you can at least see what the next post is in the email. I do like to read PMs in emails personally, rather than having to log in.

It's all part of this period of adjustment as we cement into a community. ;)
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Wesley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:45 am

Marycita wrote:I also did all of the above and am still receiving emails

So you unwatched every single thread that was in your watched threads list, and also changed "Notify me upon replies by default: No" and you still receive emails?
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Edwards1984 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:46 am

Ah, I think I may have solved zee problem. 8-) Thank you.
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Marycita » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:52 am

Wesley wrote:
Marycita wrote:I also did all of the above and am still receiving emails

So you unwatched every single thread that was in your watched threads list, and also changed "Notify me upon replies by default: No" and you still receive emails?

Maybe not. I had gotten some after I changed everything. But I just checked my email again and I didn't have any from a couple I should have if it weren't fixed...So, I think it's good now. Sorry!
Marycita

Postby Wesley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:54 am

Marycita wrote:Maybe not. I had gotten some after I changed everything. But I just checked my email again and I didn't have any from a couple I should have if it weren't fixed...So, I think it's good now. Sorry!

Keep an eye on it and if you get emails that you shouldn't I'll don my bit armor and go into mortal battle with yon server daemons.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:37 am

It seems to be working now that I really did cover all the steps. Thank you!
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

PreviousNext

Return to Member Help Desk