Turning off email notifications?

Have a question? Need some help from a staff member? Post here and you'll be helped as soon as possible!

Postby Touma » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:04 am

Hi,

I hate to be a bother already, but is there a way to turn off notifications to replies in threads?

I tried it this way:

Control Panel--->Board Preferences--->Edit Posting Defaults--->Click 'no' on 'Notify me upon replies by default' option.

But, I am still getting emails, and I don't want my inbox (full of work related stuff) to be clogged up with emails from a message board. Is there another way to get around this?

Thanks for any help. :)
Touma

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Turning off email notifications?

Postby Ethnog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:30 am

Thank you for letting us know and I agree.
The admin fix with that but for now I suggest making that go to your spam folder!
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby Wesley » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:30 am

Touma wrote:Hi,

I hate to be a bother already, but is there a way to turn off notifications to replies in threads?

I tried it this way:

Control Panel--->Board Preferences--->Edit Posting Defaults--->Click 'no' on 'Notify me upon replies by default' option.

But, I am still getting emails, and I don't want my inbox (full of work related stuff) to be clogged up with emails from a message board. Is there another way to get around this?

Thanks for any help. :)

I'm going to test this out in full later to see what the issue is. What you did should have taken care of it! Tomorrow I'm gone all day, but might be able to attend to it in the evening.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Touma » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Well, if you guys did something, I think it worked.

I did not receive any emails overnight, despite the fact there were replies to several threads I participated in.

Thanks!
Touma

Postby Deacon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 am

I am still receiving them....:-\
Deacon

Postby Wesley » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:54 am

Touma wrote:Well, if you guys did something, I think it worked.

I did not receive any emails overnight, despite the fact there were replies to several threads I participated in.

Thanks!

By default, people get email alerts on threads they participate in. However changing that option in your user control panel will un-do that option for all subsequent threads that you participate in. Old threads that you were already in participation with when the option to notify you by email of updates was enabled will still pester you.

Deacon wrote:I am still receiving them....:-\

Okay, so you don't ever want to get email notifications for any threads you participate in, except the times when you manually select the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option? In that case, you'll have to go to "User Control Panel" >> "Board Preferences" tab >> "Edit Posting Defaults" subtab >> "Notify Me Upon Replies By Default" selected to "No." Then go to "User Control Panel" >> "Overview" >> "Manage Subscriptions" and mark the ones that you participated in before making that change and click the button that says "Unwatch marked" at the bottom of that control panel window.

The idea was based on my experience with forums over the years. When I wasn't notified of a thread having been updated, I'd totally forget about my participation there and only remember months later, well after the conversation had moved on (and people had potentially been frustrated at my seeming disappearance). So perhaps that default needs to be rethought once again.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Deacon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:33 pm

Correct, I don't want to receive any email notifications.
Deacon

Postby Wesley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 am

Deacon wrote:Correct, I don't want to receive any email notifications.

Okay, in that case your user control panel option will prevent any future email notifications permanently. Then you can unwatch all currently watched threads en masse also through the user control panel. Thou shalt not be emailed!
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Deacon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:51 am

Great, thank you :)
Deacon

Postby Heather » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Any suggestions? I've followed the above steps and I'm still receiving email from responses to topics I've posted in.
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Next

Return to Member Help Desk