We have a new look!

Have a question? Need some help from a staff member? Post here and you'll be helped as soon as possible!

Re: We have a new look!

Postby Wren » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Wesley wrote:
Ethnog wrote:I like teal and the black and white. Those were the best ones, so I think between the two you made the best choice.

I think I'll take a poll at some point about what would be best for people. Bringing back the old theme as an option, or using the black and white theme as an option. EIther way, it's pretty much the same process for me, so not a big deal. I suppose it might be a little easier to handle the black and white one as a secondary option, just because it has all the same features and social media tie ins, but the old theme is pretty much just as easy to maintain as a secondary.

If you do add the black and white one, please let it be one of a couple of options. I'm not a fan of that one.
Wren

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wesley » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Marycita wrote:Honestly, the new style is a little hard for me to take on the computer. Not that it's bad exactly, because I went to the site on my kindle and the new look was great on that. It's just WOAH on the computer.

Does the layout not look right or is it more the color?

Wren wrote:If you do add the black and white one, please let it be one of a couple of options. I'm not a fan of that one.

Yeah, I think the Teal one will stay the default, but I'm going to look into making the default, original style a possibility to choose.

Kenobi wrote:I really like it! It is a little bright but I am very sensitive to light and it's easy for me to just decrease the screen brightness. It looks great on my Android phone too! Thanks for all your hard work :)

I think perhaps I don't notice it as much because my eyes are sensitive to light anyway, and I always keep my monitor very dim as a rule. So pushed up to more normal levels, it would be quite bright.

toastface_grillah wrote:Looks good - even better than our alma mater. Just checked it on the loyal Android, and it's just as good as the desktop version. We still need to "like" posts, tho. #feedback

Yeah, I'm looking into some kind of like feature or something. It's on the list! =)
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Marycita » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Wesley wrote:
Marycita wrote:Honestly, the new style is a little hard for me to take on the computer. Not that it's bad exactly, because I went to the site on my kindle and the new look was great on that. It's just WOAH on the computer.

Honestly for me it's both. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just weird. It's not a huge deal though. I'll get used to it. :)
Marycita

Postby Thunder Peel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:54 pm

It looks great on my iPad. Well done!
Thunder Peel

Postby Sara » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Marycita wrote:
Wesley wrote:

Honestly for me it's both. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just weird. It's not a huge deal though. I'll get used to it. :)

If you adjust the brightness on your monitor, does that help with the color?
Love always wins.
Sara

Postby Marycita » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:13 pm

Sara wrote:If you adjust the brightness on your monitor, does that help with the color?

Well I don't know how to, maybe I'll ask Tony later.

Oh now I feel badly for saying anything (especially thinking now about the hard work Wes puts in). Disregard everything I said. Okay? Okay. Thanks :D
Marycita

Postby Wesley » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 am

Marycita wrote:
Sara wrote:If you adjust the brightness on your monitor, does that help with the color?

Oh now I feel badly for saying anything (especially thinking now about the hard work Wes puts in). Disregard everything I said. Okay? Okay. Thanks :D

No, it's good! I need to know these things. :D
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby r035198x » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:35 am

Marycita wrote:

He works with computers. Those people strive on criticism. Them, Christians and Justin Beiber ...
r035198x

Postby Deacon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:12 am

I like either Orange, Green, or Black and White...can we have all them and just choose the best one for us ? :D
Deacon

Postby Wesley » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Deacon wrote:I like either Orange, Green, or Black and White...can we have all them and just choose the best one for us ? :D

A perfectly reasonable idea, but the unreason-ability of phpBB makes that rather difficult. I'm pondering ways to do that and maintain consistency across different themes. For example, to keep the sidebar on the right, and the square buttons in the top right, it's a copy/paste job to each theme, however theme updates would wreck that, and also if one change is needed, then I'll need to make that exact change to the other theme files for each color scheme. I'm thinking I could grind out some Ruby deployment script that keeps track of changes in a master list, and injects it into any file I choose from a list.

At this point, maybe Chatty should become a test bed for writing new forum software from scratch. :P
Wesley
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Member Help Desk