Bots

Have a question? Need some help from a staff member? Post here and you'll be helped as soon as possible!

Bots

Postby Marycita » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:43 pm

This isn't really an important thing, just a curious question about the website in general :)

What are the Google Bots that I see on a bunch? Or like the Majestic something or other?
Marycita

Bots

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bots

Postby Edwards1984 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:47 pm

It is Those-We-Do-Not-Speak-Of...

"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Marycita » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:50 pm

I can't tell what's in the picture, but reading what you wrote....you mean..The-Thing-That-Must-Not-Be-Mentioned? Or She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named? :shock:
Marycita

Postby Edwards1984 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:52 pm

No, this is another Let's-Make-a-Vague-Title-Because-We're-Afraid-of-the-Power-of-Names creature.
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Marycita » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:53 pm

There are far too many of those in the world....

But then, the ones that exist do so for good reason, so :P
Marycita

Postby Wesley » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:40 pm

There are several bots that I've seen crawl the site. When the phpBB software sees that something is browsing it, it will show the status that you see on the bottom of the home page. Most bots are polite enough to present a standard "user agent string" that lets website operators know who or what is browsing the site. Google, Yahoo, Bing, and many other search engines crawl the site, follow every link they can find and eventually catalog it quite nicely so we will eventually show up in search results for whatever keywords we all jibber about.

Majestic 12 is another search engine that is a community project similar to the Folding@Home project. In essence, people will download a little piece of software that talks up to a grand master server that then parcels out tiny little mathematic equations for the home computer to crunch on. The home computer can crunch on it overnight, or whenever it's not being used, and then when it finishes it will send its piece back up to the mothership. With distributed computing, people are using their spare computers or overnight PC power that isn't being used (or even PlayStations and other consoles) to solve large mathematic and scientific problems for major universities.

Majestic 12 is one of those distributed projects wherein a database / index of the entire internet is being attempted by using people's regular PCs (or spare servers, or what have you - some people get really serious about this). I just saw their bot on our site so we've been found out! :D

Google bots come in two varieties that I know of. One is the search engine indexer, and the other is their AdSense indexer. The search engine indexer is self explanatory I think. However the AdSense bot does a similar but different job. It takes the text that is on pages that have those banner ads that you see, analyzes all text, and then uses that to make a determination of what ad to display. For example, little_tigress told me that on the pages that had the French posts she was making, she was seeing advertisements in French for French products!

Oh and yes, the site is advertisement based. I'm not making any money on this any other way. It's using a biggish server in my leased rack in a datacenter, so the easiest way to make a few pennies back and hopefully recoup some costs is to throw up some simple ads.

Clear as mud? :D
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Marycita » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Well some of that is still over my head, but I get the jist and it makes sense now. Thanks mister! :)
Marycita

Postby Thunder Peel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Those ad bots always scare me. If someone makes a thread about dead cows does that mean they'll pop up in the ads? That would be kind of depressing.
Thunder Peel

Postby Wesley » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Thunder Peel wrote:Those ad bots always scare me. If someone makes a thread about dead cows does that mean they'll pop up in the ads? That would be kind of depressing.

If someone has dead cows to sell, and they also bought some Google ads, then yes.

DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS. DEAD COWS.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Wesley » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Marycita wrote:Well some of that is still over my head, but I get the jist and it makes sense now. Thanks mister! :)

Glad to help! They're harmless, and actually a good sign. We want more content indexed to get more people here.
Wesley
Site Admin

Next

Return to Member Help Desk