Blocking?

Have a question? Need some help from a staff member? Post here and you'll be helped as soon as possible!

Blocking?

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Not that I want to, but is there an option to block a user? Thanks!
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Blocking?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Blocking?

Postby Edwards1984 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:29 pm

I bet the "foe" option has something to do with that...
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Ethnog » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:33 pm

When you add someone to you "foe" list then they are blocked.
You cannot see their posts from that point on.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby Wesley » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:44 pm

Heather wrote:Not that I want to, but is there an option to block a user? Thanks!

phpBB has a Friends and Foes feature that is fairly new and poorly documented. People that you add as a forum friend have no inherent bonuses to being your forum friend. It is possible for modifications and plugins to pick up on that designation and add features, but right now the software itself does nothing except maintain a list of people that you consider "Friends." As of the writing of this post, there are no modifications or plugins on ChattyChristians.com that give benefits or options to the Friends feature. There may be in the future though.

As for the Foe setting, if you add another user to the Foe setting, all the sparse documentation that I can find at the moment says that foes' posts will not be seen on the board, however a private message can still be sent to the person. So, if Person A marks Person B as a foe, posts on the forum will not be seen. However, Person B (the "foe") could still PM Person A. From the official documentation:

Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.

If anyone not on Person A's foes list quotes person B, the quote of Person B will be seen by Person A. In cases of unwanted private messages being sent, I'd ask that Person A explicitly state at least once to their "foe", Person B, "Please don't PM me." Then if PMs persist you can contact a mod and we/they will take care of it in whatever manner is seen to be fit given the situation.

Person B has no indication whatsoever that Person A has set Person B as a foe. The only possible way for that to be suspected is if Person B simply starts noticing that Person A never responds to them on the forum. I believe, but can not yet confirm, that if Person A puts Person B on the foe's list, Person B will not see Person A in the list of currently logged on users at the bottom of the home page. Like I said, this is not a well documented feature at all. :?

Finally, Person B can still see Person A's profile information even if Person A has put Person B on the foe's list.

I personally don't like the nomenclature of "Friends & Foes" and would prefer "Foes" to be named "Ignore" but it is what it is. Perhaps that change can be made later, but it would be a modification / hack. Does that answer the question? Is there anything lacking to an ignore feature that you'd prefer to have? I can add it to a list and at worst bring it up with the phpBB developers (for them to ignore... but I digress.), or at best search for a mod that might be able to expand on the current features.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:47 pm

A very thorough answer, thanks! :)
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Return to Member Help Desk