Individual views

Have a question? Need some help from a staff member? Post here and you'll be helped as soon as possible!

Individual views

Postby Amber » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:13 pm

So is it possible to change your view type so all the avatars are on the left side of the page? Half the time I'm reading a post and have no idea who wrote it. I know some forums have an option where you can choose to change your view but I couldn't find it here.
Amber

Individual views

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Individual views

Postby Sara » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:14 pm

That would be awesome. I'm having that issue too!
Love always wins.
Sara

Postby Wesley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:14 pm

The short story is, no you can't switch the avatars to a different side. In phpBB, everything that you see is determined by the "board style." Right now, only two board styles are available. One being a style called "Prosilver" and another being the mobile style (I errantly use the term "theme" a lot because most content management systems use that terminology, but phpBB just has to be different). As far as I've been able to determine, you cannot have user-specific changes to things like the side that avatars / user information is on. It's all or nothing as far as who would be impacted.

Apparently enough people on the internets have asked for Prosilver to have left-sided avatars that there are instructions on all the myriad of files one needs to change to do that. What might be possible is that I clone the Prosilver style, then make the left justified avatar changes to it, and then it would be an option in your user control panel under Board Preferences >> Edit Global Settings >> My Board Style. I could name it "Prosilver - Left Avatars" for example.

This is theory at the moment, of course.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Amber » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:00 pm

So basically we are asking you to put in hours of work for our own simple convenience?

Awesome.

I wouldn't spend too much time on it. Maybe its something you end up adjusting to.

While you are listening (reading?)- may I suggest being able to add ages, relationship status, have kids, etc. in the area under the avatar eventually?
Amber

Postby Wesley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Amber wrote:So basically we are asking you to put in hours of work for our own simple convenience?

Awesome.

I wouldn't spend too much time on it. Maybe its something you end up adjusting to.

It's on the list of things to do - I think it's a good option. I also would like to, in the somewhat distant future, but perhaps before the end of the year, consider using a fully functional theme that is responsive (i.e. works on all screen sizes, including mobile devices, with no fuss), so there's a lot of theme work in my future. No, not "Theme", "style." Seriously, phpBB, you had to be different?

Amber wrote:While you are listening (reading?)- may I suggest being able to add ages, relationship status, have kids, etc. in the area under the avatar eventually?

Yes! I'd like there to be a lot more information that people can put in. There's some options for making the forum behave more like a social network, but they're large modification packages that I need to research more before I wedge them in. Many backups will be taken prior to that attempt. :D
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Edwards1984 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:06 pm

It's good avatars are on the right side rather than the left. The left side is COMMUNISM!!!!!!!!!!!
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Wesley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Edwards1984 wrote:It's good avatars are on the right side rather than the left. The left side is COMMUNISM!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's why Amber's hair is dyed red!!!
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Edwards1984 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Wesley wrote:
Edwards1984 wrote:It's good avatars are on the right side rather than the left. The left side is COMMUNISM!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's why Amber's hair is dyed red!!!

Her hair's red, she wants to put our avatars on the left...it all makes sense now.
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Amber » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:36 am

I'll have you both killed with my communist ties if you start insulting my hair.
Amber

Postby Wesley » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:42 am

Amber wrote:I'll have you both killed with my communist ties if you start insulting my hair.

так tochni товарищ!!
Wesley
Site Admin

Next

Return to Member Help Desk