Intention and Direction of This Forum

Have a question? Need some help from a staff member? Post here and you'll be helped as soon as possible!

Re: Intention and Direction of This Forum

Postby Ethnog » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:08 pm

I don't mind it with threads not being locked but I do mind not being about to delete posts. Well, that might teach me not to post everything in my head.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wesley » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Wren wrote:I've actually heard the term before. Years ago, when the forum was still active, the Lush (bath and beauty company) forum had some people who wanted their threads deleted or locked, but were informed that the threads once created were property of the community. By community, I mean all of the members. You could start a discussion, but not control it....like offline. We couldn't delete posts there either, I believe. (Though I have deleted posts, I'd be willing to lose the ability to delete my posts.) That forum did not require we agree to anything like the Creative Commons license.

Basically, I'm for people not being able to lock their threads. It's always frustrated me on CF that you have a discussion going and the OP decides to lock it...kind of saying "too bad to any one of you who were enjoying this discussion, I have used my power as OP to decide that I don't want any of you to talk in my thread anymore." I think that once you create a thread, it is everyone's thread and a place for all members to discuss the topic (or related topics) introduced (not owned) by the OP.

In order of least drastic to most drastic possible rules, I see it as thus:

• OP can't lock or delete their own threads
  • OP can't modify or delete their own posts
  • CC license all posts

Note that there's no technical ability for a poster to lock their own thread (technically the permission can be granted in the software). It has to be explicitly requested of a moderator. Currently all post creators can modify or delete their own posts, perhaps for the sake of poster's remorse if someone said something too harsh, or perhaps posted a picture they only want up for a short time. The more I think about it, the less CC licensing really makes sense in this conversation, so I shouldn't have mentioned it. CC licensing content is for a totally different purpose. I got confuzzled. :lol:
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby MoldySneakers » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:40 am

Well I know I was sorely tempted to use very inappropriate language in regard to some posters on here so I wouldn't mind being able to edit posts.
Clearly 24 hours wasn't enough time to clear my head when faced with idiocy.
I pity you, you of the mean intellects. You need to hold on so tight to your cherished opinions because to do otherwise would be to grow, and change is scary, and what is scary must be avoided.
MoldySneakers

Postby Ethnog » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:55 am

If you feel that way I suggest not logging on until you have cooled down.
Ethnog

Postby MoldySneakers » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 am

That is some good advice, but I felt that the posters would get worse, indeed one of them did before I posted a reply.
I pity you, you of the mean intellects. You need to hold on so tight to your cherished opinions because to do otherwise would be to grow, and change is scary, and what is scary must be avoided.
MoldySneakers

Postby MoldySneakers » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:29 am

Post deleted for flaming - little_tigress
MoldySneakers

Postby Ethnog » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Being angry is okay because it is human to be angry. Its not okay to call people names. I asked you to get off, cool down and then come back but you did not listen and came to call someone names. Disagreeing with them is one thing and you can still have a healthy discussion but calling names and belittling is not tolerated.

Being angry at someone else in your life should not be a reason for you to take your anger out on those who did not harm you in any way. And running away from something just because you are angry does not help you learn to control that problem either.
Ethnog

Previous

Return to Member Help Desk