Intentional and Specific Prayer

A place for discussions surrounding marriage. Marrieds and singles welcome.

Postby FLGator_Chicky » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:31 pm

I was praying for my husband earlier and started thinking about intentional and specific prayer.

I don't always stop and take the necessary time to pray specifically or intentionally - as in I am often just saying, "Lord, you know the details and what needs to be done." sort of thing and checking it off as having prayed for the situation or circumstances. I know. Lazy Christian, I am. Honestly, though, it is more that I don't have any designated time in my daily schedule for intentional and specific prayer.

So, to improve on the intentional part, I am going to choose a time to try my best to set aside each day for prayer. This is challenging for me since I have four kids. Even rising early holds no guarantee that I will get quiet time. My 5:30 AM devotional time is often shared with one or both daughters who are both early risers. Bedtime is difficult, too, because I am usually wiped out from the day. Though, it does seem to be a logical time - pray for the happenings of the day, specific needs, and for a strong start to the following day.

As for specific prayer. I want to get better about stating the obvious to God. Instead of just tossing my husband's name at God and saying, "You know..." I feel like I could be serving my husband so much better by praying specifically - over his spiritual life, his physical well-being, his weaknesses and temptations, etc.

Married couples - do you pray intentionally and specifically for your spouse? In general?

Unmarrieds - do you pray intentionally and specifically, in general? Will you pray intentionally and specifically for your future spouse?
FLGator_Chicky

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Intentional and Specific Prayer

Postby FLGator_Chicky » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:32 pm

I almost posted this in the general chat section b/c this can relate to any aspect of our lives - work, spouse, children, extended family/friends, and so on...
FLGator_Chicky

Postby little_tigress » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:00 pm

I pray for my future husband, in the assumption he does exist. I pray for his safety and wisdom and discernment and that the Lord would prepare us for eachother. Sometimes I even feel led to pray for my future kids/grandkids that they would grow up to be Godly, wise, and passionate for Him. Its probably an odd prayer for a single woman to be praying that most have already given up hope for marrying and having a family of her own, but hey :D Nothing is impossible with God. I hope that if and when I do get married I will remember to pray intentionally for him on a regular basis.

but yes I can all too often be guilty of the quick and lazy prayers. Its something I need to work on. I need to be devoting more time of my day specifically to prayer and spending time with Him.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby mina » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:32 pm

I pray intentionally and specifically for my husband if I know the details; sometimes I don't know what to pray and then in those instances I do pray in general and trust God to know.

When I was single, I did pray for my future husband and children; much like LT. I think it's a wise thing to do if you desire marriage. I prayed especially that he was actively growing in the Lord and reading His word daily (making God a priority in his life daily). I pray for my future children; that my husband and I will be able to be great parents, to point them towards the Lord by our examples, that they would grow up to be Godly young people. One of my biggest fears is that where we live is so unGodly a city; that they would get sucked into that mentality; I pray that we as parents could be a godly influence and that God would surround them with friends that don't tear them down. It's odd I guess to do that; but I believe that all good things start in prayer and that it's important to pray even before we even have kids. And as a single; I felt that it was important to pray for my husband before we even met.
I do need to set apart a time specifically for prayer. I'm guilty of not doing that and praying everything hurriedly right before I fall asleep.
mina

Postby Kenobi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:57 pm

I have a story to share about this (not related to spouse/marriage that I've been wanting to post but wasn't sure how/where to post it). I do pray intentionally and specifically for my husband, though not every day. It is usually related to when he has big projects at work, or big decisions to make, etc. I also try to remember to pray for him as the head of our home and our family, especially lately as our niece and nephew are living with us and look to him more and more as a father figure. I like the idea of praying for future children, I never thought of that.
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." --Jeremiah 29:11
Kenobi

Postby Wren » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:12 am

I pray for him every day with specifics.
Wren

Postby Marycita » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:30 am

A big portion of all my praying is for my husband. I am very intentional and specific, but I also try to be surrendered as I pray for him. Some of my praying for my husband is in the time I set aside for prayer each day, but some of it is also in the moments that I just end up praying (driving, cleaning, etc). I obviously pray for him about whatever he needs prayer for on any given day, but I also pray for all different areas of his life. Not that he is in a desperate state in all of these areas, but I still cover each in prayer normally.

I do also pray for others. I have a very long prayer list in one of my binders. I slowly (or so it seems) work my way through it over and over each prayer time I have. Then, there are times when certain people are on my mind so I end up pray more for them throughout the day. If I don't, I tend to end up worrying myself into a frenzy. So, I frequently need to make sure I pray things in a straight line rather than a circle (to quote the wise Amber).

Overall, I've discovered what Wesley said (I think it was him) about his prayer life is completely true - that there is so much in any given day, I *need* to pray for hours. ...That's not the exact quote, of course.
Marycita

Postby Spunkn » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:42 am

I pray intentionally and specific most of the time if I can, but there are just sometimes where I don't know what to pray, or enough about the situation so I'll just pray generally. Praying generally -can- be lazy, but I don't believe it always is if that makes sense. It can be just as good as intentional / specific prayer if it's done with the right heart.
Spunkn

Postby Miles » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:05 am

My prayers are usually intentional and specific. They mostly involve giving thanks for various things, asking for help with particular situations, and praying for others. The level of detail largely depends on what I'm aware of at the time. As I don't even know who my future spouse is is, prayers for her are more general and vague. Along the lines of praying for her happiness, wisdom, and basic well-being.
Miles

Return to Married Life