The Honeymoon

A place for discussions surrounding marriage. Marrieds and singles welcome.

The Honeymoon

Postby Marycita » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:23 pm

For those who are married, did you take a honeymoon? What was it?

For those who aren't? Would/will you? What would you like to do?

We didn't take a honeymoon right away, but we are going on a late one next month to Universal Studios, because my husband loves me and let me introduce him to the wonderful world that is Harry Potter :lol: We didn't take one right away because we had to do so much traveling already to move me and then for the actual wedding. I liked it that way. I always thought the ideal "honeymoon" for me would be time at home just getting used to living with my husband. Which is what we did - I mean, he had to go back to work, but still. It was nice to just get home and live. So delightful and a very nice start to our life together. Now that we've done that, a trip together will be much more enjoyable and relaxing.

Your turn!
Marycita

The Honeymoon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby mina » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:57 pm

We went on a mini tour of Europe. We didn't leave right away- it was more like a week after we got married; which was nice and relaxing. We flew into Zurich and from there went to Interlaken, Lake Como, Verona, Bolzano, Salzburg, Munich, and back to Zurich (spending a few days in each town). We took the train to each place. It was really fun and an adventure. We did it all on our own so we didn't have any exact schedule. My favorite place was Salzburg- we went on the Sound of Music bike tour and it was so much fun. We met an older couple from Australia in Interlaken that were celebrating their 30th anniversary- they had their honeymoon there also and were revisiting it! We took our picture together and exchanged Christmas cards. We went to Bolzano b/c There is a museum of Archeology there that bought and displayed one of my husband's photos. So that was amazing!
Last edited by mina on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mina

Postby Marycita » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Oh that sounds so lovely! I didn't know there was a Sound of Music bike tour! How awesome! And I love the sweetness of you meeting a couple like that!
Marycita

Postby little_tigress » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Oh I love the idea of going to Europe for my honeymoon. Its been my dream for as long as I can remember to go Europe (Any part of Europe, really. admittedly I'm drawn to Western Europe because of my linguistic background, but Eastern Europe is also just beautiful - the culture, the architecture, the languages *dreamy sigh*). And to do that with my husband would be just wonderful.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Thunder Peel » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:18 pm

We made the move our honeymoon. Since we had to get her stuff from Vermont to Texas we just took a week and made it a leisurely road trip. We made a stop by Niagara Falls on our way out of New York, which was really amazing.

We stopped in Ohio for a couple of days and went to the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, which was extremely fun and something I've wanted to do for years. I'm grateful my wife was patient with me while I ran around and geeked out about getting to see Joe Strummer's guitar and Bjork's jacket. We also got to see U2 3D there, which is something I hadn't seen since 2008. She liked it and wants to see the band on the next tour. God knew what He was doing when He put us together. ;)

We also stopped for a few days in Nashville as well. She had never been before and it was fun for her to see where I used to live and some of my favorite places to go. She even said she wouldn't mind living there at some point so we're considering the possibility of relocating there in the near future. I miss living there and fortunately the weather is nicer, meaning we would actually get four seasons instead of two months of winter and then ten months of summer like we do now.:D

Overall is was really fun and relaxing while also being practical and reasonably priced. We considered delaying the honeymoon until later but then decided to take it right away and we're glad we did. I think you can still have a blast taking it later but I understand what they mean when they say it's a period you'll never get back. It's a unique time that's kind of difficult to describe and there's an innocence to those days after marriage where everything is fresh and new. In the end each couple has to do what's best for them. We had a more reasonable honeymoon so we can save and do something like a Disney vacation in the upcoming year instead.
Last edited by Thunder Peel on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunder Peel

Postby Amber » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:29 pm

I would want to go to Disney in Florida. But wait a month after the wedding. Long enough to get over the wedding hype but short enough to be new newlyweds lol

I've never actually met a guy who would be willing to go to Disney though so maybe that will be my new standard of testing compatibility.
Amber

Postby Wren » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:36 am

It was kind of a honeymoon. Part of the big reason why it made sense to get married so quickly was a trip to China that he had planned before we even started dating. He was going for the Chinese New Year, which is the biggest holiday in China and a time of family reunions. He wanted me to go with and meet his family. (And if we had been single when that happened, it would have been awkward for a couple of reasons. Also, his mother really wanted us to be married. She really wanted to throw a party and they don't do engagement parties, so we let her have fun planning a wedding reception.) We left a couple of weeks or so after we got married.

On the way to his hometown, we went to Beijing. In Beijing, we went to the Temple of Heaven (a historical site), The Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square, National Museum of China, The Beijing Zoo (where the lemurs were not impressed by my singing "I Like To Move It" to them), and a mall (where a lady was trying so hard to get me to buy a purse that she held onto my arm until my husband told her to back off). The subway cars at certain times of day are horrible. You literally have to shove people to get off. I thought I was going to get shoved off at one point. I held onto my husband tightly. It's way worse than I ever saw NYC's subway.

On the way home, we stopped at Shanghai. I was really sick, though, so I sadly couldn't really do much or enjoy it. It seemed like a great city and I really was looking forward to a couple of days there. I didn't get sick there, that was in my husband's hometown, but it took a nasty (my husband kept trying to convince me to go the hospital but I refused) turn while in Shanghai.

I'd always wanted to tour Eastern Europe for my honeymoon, but it was cool that I still got to go international for the first time. And his family was very welcoming.
Last edited by Wren on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wren

Postby Kenobi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:11 am

We spent a week in San Francisco. It was so much fun :)
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." --Jeremiah 29:11
Kenobi

Postby Sara » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:45 am

We haven't really been on a honeymoon. We went on a vacation, but we went with his sister and her family. I think we may go on a honeymoon on our fifth anniversary. :)
Love always wins.
Sara

Postby smackus maxiumus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:54 am

I'll say this: Pants won't be required.
smackus maxiumus

Next

Return to Married Life