The "S" Word

A place for discussions surrounding marriage. Marrieds and singles welcome.

Re: The "S" Word

Postby little_tigress » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:51 am

Nah, I'm the angel of the group. You can trust me.

Wes is the one you really have to watch out for.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Amber » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:14 pm

I've lost a million posts to the whole "something new was posted and it didn't submit your post because of it". I took it as a sign from God that the post wasn't meant to be ;)
Amber

Postby Edwards1984 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:35 pm

"All those posts will be lost in time...like...tears...in rain..."
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Zombie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:31 pm

little_tigress wrote:Yes. Submission. I dared to use the "S" word.

What should this look like in marriage?

I'm a guy, and perhaps it's because I'm a guy that I don't understand why this is always a touchy subject. Submission, in my mind, means to agree with an authority. God is the authority over all, and so we submit when we agree to His leadership. Similarly, a wife is called to submit to her husband, which means that she is called to agree with his godly decisions. As a husband, the man should lead his family through servant leadership; he will talk things over with his wife and come to an agreement with her about things. Submission is never an implication of weakness; it is simply saying, "I love you and trust you to know what is best, but I also know you love me enough to consider my point of view as well."

I'm sure this has also been pointed out, but does anyone else find it funny that the button you click to post your text is the "Submit" button? :lol:
Zombie

Postby MacFall » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:26 am

In a Christ-centered ethics, submission is leadership and leadership is submission. There are no domination systems under Christ. There is only mutual, willing servanthood.
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Postby Beauty4Ashes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:31 am

Oh. I thought this was about snuggling. . .
Beauty4Ashes

Postby Miles » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:32 am

She can save drafts and preview all day, but how will she post on message boards if she doesn't submit? ;)

But seriously, I'd aim for an atmosphere of cooperation and compromise. If a tornado was coming, sure, I'd insist that she heed my instructions to take shelter. If she refused or simply stood there, I'd probably pick her up and carry her to safety, but the idea of acting like some kind of dictator isn't compatible with my view of marriage. Not that I think the Bible encourages husbands to boss their wives around, let alone discipline them, but that kind of interpretation doesn't sit well with me at all. I like to think that if/when I ever do find someone we'll see eye to eye on this. It should be about seeking ways to make each other happy, not about foisting one's will upon another.
Miles

Previous

Return to Married Life