Fighting

A place for discussions surrounding marriage. Marrieds and singles welcome.

Fighting

Postby little_tigress » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Do you believe its a sign of an unhealthy relationship if the couple never fights?
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Fighting

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Fighting

Postby FLGator_Chicky » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Do you mean that they never disagree or that they never fight? There is a difference. lol

My BIL and sister never fight, though they do have disagreements. They are, by far, one of the most solid couples I know and have a very healthy relationship.
FLGator_Chicky

Postby mina » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:12 pm

We don't really fight. But we do disagree. I think it's important to learn how to fight well and disagree well; but I don't think you have to fight in order to have a healthy or non healthy relationship.
mina

Postby Wren » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:53 am

If we use the word fight loosely, then I do think it's unhealthy to never fight. But if a couple never fight-fights, that can be very healthy.

If you never have disagreements, you're not human or are stuffing how you feel, IMO. But you can handle those disagreements in a calm and mature manner, with it never blowing up into a real fight.
Wren

Postby Wesley » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:06 am

From the Italian side of my family, fighting is a given. Or rather, what non-Italians would call fighting. They think of it as "discussing at the top of your lungs and flailing one's limbs around." It seems to work for them, I... guess? Nevertheless, I think disagreements can get impassioned, but insofar as there is no threat of violence or intimidation, I think one can occasionally get a bit animated. Christ certainly did, even at his own people. God the Father did... but it was certainly the exception. As the Bible says, and I'm paraphrasing: there is a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing. There is a time to rend, and a time to sew together.

I would think that animated discussions should be the exception to the general rule though. :lol:
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Spunkn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:11 am

You can disagree and discuss two sides of an issue without fighting. Basically what everybody said already.
Spunkn

Postby Kenobi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:11 am

We used to fight - like all-out, screaming, middle-of-the-night fights. We don't do that anymore and our relationship is MUCH healthier. We do, however, still have disagreements, which I think is a healthy thing to know how to discuss/resolve them without fighting.
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." --Jeremiah 29:11
Kenobi

Postby MacFall » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:53 am

The Apostles consistently taught that we should not be quarrelsome and contentious. The Greek is "amachos", which literally means "not-fighting".

Of course everyone will have disagreements, and in a healthy relationship those disagreements will be expressed. But if you can't disagree without fighting, your relationship is not healthy. The fruit of the Spirit is a good guide for expressing disagreement. Does your expression reveal love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control in yourself? Just as importantly, does it cause those traits to grow in others?
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Return to Married Life