Baby Names

A place for discussions surrounding marriage. Marrieds and singles welcome.

Baby Names

Postby waves16 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:07 am

Okay, so this might be my guilty pleasure. I don't think I've seen a post on it yet SOOO...
Married or not, do you have any baby names you like? Do you prefer more traditional names, family names, or totally out-there names?
“Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
through shadows to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
waves16

Baby Names

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Baby Names

Postby mina » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:31 pm

I just had a baby and we picked names that I had never thought of before. I love her name, but after she was named I heard a gorgeous name:Liliia. Her name is close, but if she ever has a sister, we have a name.
mina

Postby Ethnog » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:41 pm

I have a gorgeous girl name Aubrey in my class.
One of the perks of being a teacher: you have a list of names for your future kids.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby waves16 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm guilty of that too! Quite a few of the names on my mental list are from teaching.

I love the name Lillia! My top name for a girl is Lillian, so they're quite close :P
― J.R.R. Tolkien
waves16

Postby Wren » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:38 pm

mina wrote:I just had a baby and we picked names that I had never thought of before. I love her name, but after she was named I heard a gorgeous name:Liliia. Her name is close, but if she ever has a sister, we have a name.

Lilia was a name I considered when I was pregnant with WrenToddler. I'm weird about saying his name in open/public areas, so I'll just say that his name is a traditional name and the name of a Biblical apostle.

There are unique names that I really like, but I don't feel right using those types of names for child. I have all kinds of personal rules I go by when considering names (not just of my son but of hypothetical children because I love names). (One of the rules is if I could picture the name on a CEO or president of the US). But if I see someone online asking for suggestions for unique names, I mention my favorites because some people have very different ideas of what's important in a name and that's fine I guess.

I love the names Ava (which was a favorite since I was a child), Sophia, and Olivia but I wouldn't name a child a mega popular name. Unfortunately my style seems to be trendy right now, so I'll probably have to keep eliminating favorites. Right now I love the names Alice (though I don't love the nickname Ali), Eleanor (though I probably wouldn't use it because I don't love the nickname Ellie), Madeleine (though people would misspell and mispronounce the name) and Phoebe. I love the name Luca/Luka for a girl, but Luca is a boy name and while Luka is unisex in some Eastern European countries, most people would assume I'd basically named my daughter the Italian version of Luke. For a boy, I like James (but couldn't use it since it means usurper and as a 2nd son that seems a bad choice), Matthew, and Henry (though WrenHubby's name starts with an H so I wouldn't use that one.
Wren

Postby Ethnog » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:10 am

New kid today.
Jaziz.

Gosh, its gonna take me a while to pronounce it correctly.
I'm still working on pronouncing Kamai correctly.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby waves16 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:56 am

Charlotte was always a favourite of mine. Now that the royal baby is named Charlotte, I know that it's gonna shoot up in popularity, so I'm not sure if that will affect whether I'll use it or not :P I have a large family, and it's a bit of a tradition to go by your middle name, so I'd like to pick a quirky first name and a traditional middle name.

I'm just looking forward to the day 4-5 years from now when my primary classes are filled with little girls named Anna and Elsa hahaha.
― J.R.R. Tolkien
waves16

Return to Married Life