seen any good movies lately?

Discuss movies, TV, music, books, and anything that entertains the eyes, ears, and mind.

Re: seen any good movies lately?

Postby Ethnog » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:09 pm

I think studying the unhealthy aspect would be the best way to go because I hear too many women (grown women) who believe its a beautiful love story. That thinking leads me to wonder what is really going on in their minds. I'm okay with people reading for entreatment, I have my horrible guilty pleasures (real housewives).

As for the movie: acting is terrible.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby little_tigress » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Twilight is a guilty pleasure of mine. It is pure trash, and I`ll readily admit that :D but I enjoy the storyline. I`m actually rereading it now. If we compare it to a real life relationship, then yes its unhealthy and borders on abusive. But its fiction. its a relationship between an awkward teenage girl and a vampire. And occasionally a werewolf. So its not exactly fair to compare it to real life relationship dynamics.

Unless of course its actually encouraging women/teen girls to seek out abusive relationships in the understanding that controlling = love. But I think people tend to be smarter than to allow a fictitious series tell them what love actually is. At least I`d hope that was the case. they shouldn`t be allowed to talk to other living people if they can`t.

Heck, we could dig into classical literature where the examples of love aren`t much better (Wuthering Heights, anyone?). but in the end its all fiction and should be taken as such.

the movie, esp the first one, was awful though. But the last movie in the series is actually *much* better than the last book in the series. In the book, the ending was anti-climactic. And felt like she`d just given up on the series and slapped on a quick and easy finish. They fixed that in the movie.

I do believe this is the most I`ve ever written about Twilight. I think I`m dangerously close to being labeled a twihard fan.

I`m going to stop now.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby mina » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:09 pm

I saw an older movie on tv; Sunday in New York. It was made in 1963 and I was surprised they let that one be made back then! It's sweet and innocent by today's standards , but they talk about sex directly A LOT!!! Specifically about morality and what being a "nice" girl means. It's an interesting glimpse into 1960's culture, double standards for each gender and the way times were changing. It was a good movie, very sweet, and for the subject content it wasn't smutty at all. It starred a really young Jane Fonda and Cliff Robertson.
mina

Postby little_tigress » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:56 am

I watched Gone Girl tonight. And its funny. The ending made me really angry in the book. But seeing the movie made me rethink my response. It seems like that was the only real possible ending if you really think about it. But maybe its because I'd read the book and knew what was coming that it didn't hit me the same way. I don't know.
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
little_tigress

Postby Ethnog » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:48 am

House of flying daggers!

What an awesome movie!
Ethnog

Postby mina » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:15 pm

I want to see Gone Girl. And the only reason is I like Rosamund Pike. I read the book, b/c a month ago we were traveling to North Carolina and someone had left the book in the airport. I thought the story started out okay, even intriguing , but before the middle of the book I had figured out the twist and I just thought the rest was predictable and contrived. I had kind of figured out the twist from seeing trailers on tv. I thought of 20 different ways it could turn out and make the book better and I was disappointed when the author went for the easiest, laziest, ending possible.
mina

Postby little_tigress » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Yeah I figured out the twist pretty quickly. Actually I remember watching the trailer (which was how I discovered it and made me decide to read the book), and thinking, "that'd be a fun twist ending, I wonder..."

So I was pretty unhappy that I figured it out :P

But I did like the movie despite everything. I'm curious what you'll think of it.
little_tigress

Postby mina » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:55 am

I saw Gone Girl tonight. meh; it wasn't that great. There were a lot of graphic scenes that really weren't needed; I felt the movie was trying to be edgier than it really was. The character of Nick was made out to be much more sympathetic than the novel. At the end of the novel; I felt they both deserved one another; but I actually felt sorry for him in the movie by the end. Rosamund Pike was the perfect Amy. Desi was much more predatorish for the movie. And I kept wondering why his lake house cameras didn't show all of Amy's allegations; surely the police or FBI or whoever viewed them. loophole! I suppose she deleted some of them, but in the novel it's not addressed at all and you know Desi's mom would have known there were security cameras all over the place.
mina

Postby little_tigress » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:05 am

Yeah, I didn't like what they did to Desi in the movie. I mean they cut to the core of his motivations pretty quick. But he was a much more complex character in the book. I was also a little peeved that they cut his mother out of the movie. I thought she explained Desi's lunacy and helped add more doubt to Amy's story. I also wished they'd kept whatsherface... the girl from Amy's childhood that was supposedly her stalker. It would have built up the back story more.

But that being said, I think I liked the movie more than the book. The book just made me angry.
little_tigress

Postby Ethnog » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:21 am

Watched, "a wonderful life" yesterday and "Blizzard" on TV. I love cheesy and classic Christmas movies.

Today we saw, Hunger Games MockingJay part 1. I enjoyed it a lot.

I want to see Into the Woods, but most likely I'll get it on redbox.
Forgot to mention I also watched Melifancent. It was entertaining.
Ethnog

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment