Movies That Made You Cry

Discuss movies, TV, music, books, and anything that entertains the eyes, ears, and mind.

Movies That Made You Cry

Postby Edwards1984 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:26 am

Having watched the ending scene of "Marley and Me" on YouTube, I was suddenly inspired to start a thread on films that made us cry.

Saving Private Ryan

Amazingly enough, when I first saw this, I didn't cry at all. Then when I saw it a second time, I broke down at the end with the "Tell me I'm a good man" scene.

Schindler's List

Most people start crying at the famous "I could have saved more people" speech at the end, but actually my moments of tears were in two other moments: when the one-armed old man is shot; in the brief scene where a Nazi lines up a line of men and attempts to kill them all with a single shot. I think the latter especially struck me as a terrible example of human cruelty and ingenuity mixed together.

Black Hawk Down

I never really cry until the end, with the monologue over the credits. One time in college, I watched it with some friends, and after that part I had to excuse myself and go to bathroom to weep.

Stalingrad

This is a German film about the battle by the same name. You're essentially watching a German unit slowly get decimated little by little. The final shot are the two surviving characters, huddled together in a snow storm, talking to one another, and as they slowly stop talking, you realize that they've died. I saw this movie when I was 12, and I broke down and couldn't stop crying after that.

Passion in the Desert

Amazingly enough, when I saw this film as a teenager I cried so hard I couldn't sleep that night. Nowadays (especially after I've read the original short story the movie was based off), I look at it and go, "What the heck were the filmmakers smoking?

Grave of the Fireflies

This is a Japanese animated film made by Studio Ghibli (famous for Hayao Miyazaki's films) set in Japan at the end of World War II. A teenage boy and his younger sister are left on their own, and the film essentially shows their struggles to survive and dealing with an inevitable end. I couldn't stop crying after watching this. Seriously. I was still crying the morning after thinking about it.

And the absolute worst movie, in terms of making me cry...

Antarctica

This a Japanese film from the 1980's, based off the true story of an expedition to Antarctica in the 1950's. This included 15 sled dogs, who, through a series of circumstances, were left behind during a snow storm. Eight couldn't break free of their chains and died in the snow, but seven broke free. When a second team went there a year later, they amazingly enough found two dogs still alive. That means, of course, even more dogs didn't make it. The film follows the dogs throughout their time, trying to survive. Every time one of them dies, they put up their name, how old they were, where they came from in Japan, etc. It's PAINFUL. Every time one of the dogs died, I literally had to pause to recuperate. It's a great film, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I could ever watch it all the way through again. Even now, writing this, I'm trying not to choke up.

Some might be familiar with Disney's remake of this as "Eight Below." Suffice to say, that movie stunk, and the dogs were the best actors.
Last edited by Edwards1984 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Movies That Made You Cry

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Movies That Made You Cry

Postby Fremdin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:30 am

I'm tender hearted so almost anything makes me cry but the one that made me cry the hardest was Big Fish. The dad in that movie looks a lot like my dad and sounded like him and I just bawled during it. And pbs's the Urban Elephant made me sob.
Fremdin

Postby mina » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:31 am

Probably more than this, but off the top of my head:
Far and Away
Cold Mountain
Legends of the Fall
War Horse
Slumdog Millionaire
mina

Postby SweetDee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:42 am

Most recently The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas.

Like Fremdin, I am tender hearted as well and cry at a lot of movies.

The ones that have affected me the most that I can recall are P.S. I love you, Return to Me, Precious, The Help, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (cried even harder while reading the book)...I can't think of any others at the moment.
I don't drink coffee, sir, I don't drink hot liquids of any kind. That's the Devil's temperature.
SweetDee

Postby little_tigress » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:48 am

Marley and Me is definitely one. i cannot watch that movie without bawling like a baby. Schindler`s list, The Piano, The Little Princess, I know there`s a ton more that I`m forgetting because I am dead tired. The older I get, the more likely I am to cry during movies.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Thunder Peel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:32 am

Gigli, mostly because it was so awful that I lost all faith in humanity.
Thunder Peel

Postby smackus maxiumus » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:32 am

Smacarena's tears cure cancer. Too bad he never cries. Unless it's the ending of "Forrest Gump."
smackus maxiumus

Postby Wren » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:39 pm

smacarena wrote:Smacarena's tears cure cancer. Too bad he never cries. Unless it's the ending of "Forrest Gump."

Forrest Gump was one of the first I thought of, along with Beaches and Pay It Forward.
Wren

Postby little_tigress » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:16 pm

oh Pay It Forward. I can't watch that without having a box of tissues handy.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Amber » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:56 pm

I've only ever cried at one movie- Horton Hears a Who.

I started tearing up when Jojo got his voice. And the two 3 year old twins that were with me got very concerned.

I haven't watched the movie since but I highly doubt it was the actual movie that made me cry.

I don't get emotionally involved in movies so I guess that is why I don't cry for them. Old Yeller? Dogs die. Pearl Harbor? People die in war. Walk To Remember? She's lucky she had time with Shane West :P
Amber

Next

Return to Entertainment