How do you read books?

Discuss movies, TV, music, books, and anything that entertains the eyes, ears, and mind.

How do you read books?

One at a time
50%
I like to keep up with several all at once
33%
Books? I like movies
17%

Total votes : 6

How do you read books?

Postby little_tigress » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:14 pm

So growing up in my house where my parents and I all shared a deep love of books, I noticed something. My mom could have several books on the go at the same time, but my dad and I both could only focus on one book at a time. I remember trying several times to be more like my mom and try reading more than one, but one book would always win out and the others would be ignored or forgotten.

So how do you prefer to read your books?
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

How do you read books?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How do you read books?

Postby Wren » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:01 am

I used to only read one book at a time. I never understood the point of reading several. Then I had my son. I don't have the attention span that I used to or something. And some evenings/nights I have less mental energy than others. So, I have a few books in a pile that I'm reading. I'm reading on toilet training. (I'm not currently training WrenBaby, but I like to read ahead and see what things are helpful or hurt. And there are some pre-training tips in one book.) And I'm reading two other books: one historical non-fiction and one YA novel (City of Bones). Some nights I'll read one book from the pile and other nights I'll read one chapter from one book and then one chapter from another.
Wren

Postby little_tigress » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:35 am

Oh city of bones - I've been meaning to read that. How do you like it?
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Amber » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:46 am

I finish a book then move on to the next. But I can finish a book in two hours so its easier for me.
Amber

Postby mina » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:18 am

I usually have an upstairs book that I read at night before I go to bed , and a downstairs book that I read anytime the fancy strikes me. On my nightstand I usually have a Bible, a fiction book, and usually a non-fiction book. I also re-read books. I speed read and no one believes that I'm able to enjoy a book that way; but I do.
mina

Postby Wren » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:09 pm

little_tigress wrote:Oh city of bones - I've been meaning to read that. How do you like it?

It's very good. There's one thing about it that I don't love (and I can't say what it is because it's a spoiler), but it's not enough to stop me from reading the rest of the series. I plan to get the next book as soon as I can, since I just finished it last night.
Wren

Postby Toro » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:05 am

Start at page one, read left to right, top to bottom.

You Canadians must do it differently. :P

I dont like books. Actually, I would love to read, it just takes so long for me to "get into it" I usually have to read for 30 mins to an hour to get into the imagery and "see" what the pages describe. It also has to be silent long enough for me to concentrate on the book. That happens each and every time I read, so, if I stop.... I have to repeat the process just to get back into the story.

If I could flip a switch and "see" the imagery painted by the book, I would read a lot more. Since I cant, I pick movies, even though they usually butcher the book.
Toro

Postby Sara » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:40 pm

Several books at a time. Always.
Love always wins.
Sara

Postby MacFall » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:14 pm

Several at once. One fiction, and maybe two or three non-fiction on different subjects. Currently I'm reading Shelley's Frankenstein (for the first time in an unabridged version, believe it or not) for my fiction dose. On the non-fiction platter, I'm still chewing my way through Richard Bauckham's Jesus and the Eyewitnesses (which argues that the Gospels were first-hand accounts, or at least, directly adapted from such), but since I have a hard time sticking with that one for long, I added Edward Stringham's Anarchy and the Law (essays on how societies have historically, and could in theory, produce law and order without formal government), and The Septuagint by Jennifer Dines (self-explanatory).
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Return to Entertainment