Noah

Discuss movies, TV, music, books, and anything that entertains the eyes, ears, and mind.

Re: Noah

Postby Ethnog » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:02 am

Touma wrote:I probably won't watch either Son of God or Noah. They just don't look appealing to me.

Now, the Exodus film with Christian Bale....Now that might be interesting. I feel like Christian Bale is a much better actor than Russel Crowe or Diogo Morgado.

I think Russel Crowe is a fantastic actor.
I had no idea about Exodus. Now I have to goggle.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby little_tigress » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:17 pm

little_tigress wrote:There's an Exodus film coming out? Interesting.

So just throwing this out there. According to this guy, the Noah film is actually based on Gnostic/Kabbalistic theology rather than Scripture. Which would account for why it doesn't follow the Biblical account.

It does intrigue the heresy hunter within me. In curious if what he says is true or not.

http://drbrianmattson.com/journal/2014/ ... -the-devil

And a rebuttal to the above argument for anyone who may be interested:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/filmchat/2 ... -fast.html
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby little_tigress » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:46 am

So I actually did see this today with a friend. Curiousity got the best of both of us. Aaaand... weeelll.... they got the part about the disastrous worlwide flood part right at least. Honestly, I don't think anyone could have expected anything better from someone who clearly does not believe the Bible to be the Word of God.

And just a heads up. There are some small spoilers ahead.

God was practically nonexistent in the film, aside from a few dreams/visions he gave to Noah about the flood. Making the theology more deist than anything. And yet there were things that make me see why the author of the first article I posted thought this was based on gnosticism. There were creature, The Watchers, who I am not entirely sure what they are. They are, supposedly, part of creation however (one of them said they were created on the... second day, I believe?) and yet they're these mystical beings of light charged with the responsibility of watching over creation, but not permitted to interact with it. Which they rebelled against after the fall trying to set things back on their proper course. And for their punishment, God entrapped their souls in rocks. So they became these strange rock creatures which hated mankind because apparently man has the power to kill them. Somehow.

Anydoodle... Noah is basically just this angry and bitter madman who believes mankind is so evil, it needs to be wiped out entirely. To the point of threatening to kill his son's baby if it turned out to be a girl because she could grow up to be a mother. I've heard people say that this was God's command to Noah, but I don't think so having watched the movie. It was a kneejerk reaction of his when he learned that his daughter-in-law was pregnant, and he went to pray begging God that he wouldn't have to kill the baby, but God was silent in reply. So he seemingly took that as confirmation that he was supposed to kill the baby.

By the end of the movie, Noah is so consumed by his own anger that he becomes a hermit and a drunk. Until a talk with his daughter-in-law makes him think, "hey maybe I'm not so evil because I failed to kill my own grand-daughters" and he reconciles with his family and all is well again.

The Godly Noah of the Bible is nowhere to be seen. The man in the movie is relying mainly on speculation and guesswork to figure things out. He has no close walk with God. And at one point even says, "there is no difference between us (himself and his family) and the rest of humanity who are damned by the floods." Which is why he decided all of humanity needed to be wiped out.

Also the sin issue? Seems to boil down more to a family feud than to sin. The descendents of Cain and the descendents of Seth hated eachother on principle.

And Methuselah was a crazy old man who lived in a cave bby himself who constantly craved berries. And was never able to have one until seconds before the floods killed him. So there's that. Also he had magical powers to cure infertility.

Soooo... yeah. I really think thats the best we could expect from Hollywood on the Noah story, honestly. And its not something I am angry about because it does have false doctrine and changes the story entirely. Spiritually blind people are spirtually blind. To the writers, this is likely nothing more than a myth which makes it fair game to play with and manipulate into a blockbuster hollywood movie. And if that all it was, and it wasn't a Scriptural story that really happened, I'd say it was an OK movie.

So yeah, I'm not angry like a lot of Christians are. I'm also not surprised. It is what it is. And hey, who knows? maybe it can even open some doors for sharing the faith. I mean the story of Noah is a foreshadowing of the cross and the mercy and grace of the Lord. If people are curious about the real story, it might well lead to witnessing opportunities.
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
little_tigress

Postby MacFall » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:07 pm

I don't plan to see it until it's on disc. I take Dr. Mattson's view on the Gnostic influences (the God in the movie is certainly more like the Demiurge than the Judeo-Christian Creator God, and the whole thing with the Watchers is straight out of a Kabbalistic interpretation of the Book of Enoch). And if there's one thing I hate about modern Western Christianity, its the tolerance for gnosticism. Or maybe tolerance is the wrong word—I don't think your average American Evangelical would recognize gnosticism if it jumped up and bit him in the arse.

Because it has done, and he doesn't recognize it. Most of it is in a much more vulgar form than what this movie displays, but still... hisssssssss.

But what really gets me is how, in the Biblical story, the thing that really grieved God about man's sin was how violent he had gotten. It's hard to translate the Hebrew word that we usually translate "righteousness", and which in fact may better translate to many different terms, but to the Hebrew culture it bespoke the kind of characteristics that Jesus extolled in Matthew 5. And what are the opposite of those characteristics? Greed, violence, and a lack of hospitality.

So what does the movie do with that idea? It boils down to "eating meat is bad", from what I can tell. Perhaps someone who has actually seen it can tell me differently.

I'm not afraid of the propaganda angle, but I certainly will not give my seven bucks to the studio that made it.
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Postby little_tigress » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:00 pm

Yeah, in the movie anytime meat-eating was mentioned, it was always the evil descendants of Cain eating the meat because they believed eating meat gave them strength and Noah and his family would be in shock because it was clearly an evil thing to do. I thought that was weird.
little_tigress

Previous

Return to Entertainment