What do you think about reality TV?

Discuss movies, TV, music, books, and anything that entertains the eyes, ears, and mind.

Postby Ethnog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:27 am

I am hooked on the housewives.
Though I have to say, it is not entertaining for me in the way that I like the fighting. I hate the fighting. It makes women look even more catty, mean, and backstabbing. There is no loyalty and no love for one another. 40-60 year old rich women who act unkindly to each other. I look away and cringe so many times.
And yet I watch the shows because I LOVE THEM! I l want those women to see themselves on TV and realize how horrible they come across and change their behavior. But they don't, because they are making a living and A LOT of money behaving that way. They go on twitter and tweet mean things about each other, never admit to their mistakes, and I STILL cannot stop watching.

Maybe I am the problem.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What do you think about reality TV?

Postby Wesley » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:50 pm

I was hooked on reality TV since the second season of Real World when they were in San Francisco. I don't think it was called Reality TV back then, it was just... The Real World. Somewhere along the line of history it became absurd and I stopped watching those kinds of shows for the most part. My mom is addicted to the Duggars though. I'll pass by some of the annoying, weird shows on Discovery Channel like the one about the guys who install large commercial fish tanks.

I'm about as skeptical as they come though. I suspect that it's all fake and scripted. I think there was a time when reality TV might have been relatively raw, but that was probably only the first few years. Now I think even the fights are all planned. :|
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby mina » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Most of them are scripted and are not reality. I used to love Big Brother and all the housewives shows, but I don't really watch now. I occasionally will tune in to Beverly Hills b/c I love their clothes, but I think it's totally scripted and manipulated by producers or Andy Cohen or whatever…… I really like Alaska the Last Frontier and think it's pure in it's reality presentation even to the point of boredom sometimes, but it fascinates me and I love the family on that show. I used to love the Amazing Race but I haven't watched in about 3 years.
mina

Postby Ethnog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Real world was interesting back then and so was MTV. Now it's all about teen moms and sex. Not that it wasn't about sex before but now it makes my stomach turn.

Maybe I didn't understand a lot of things then that I see now.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby Amber » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Reality TV is just scripted scenes with bad camera work.

Although I admit that if I am at someone's house and they have cable, I'm not averse to turning on Sister Wives. Its just like this train wreck that you can't look away from.
Amber

Postby Wren » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Reality tv is just ugly nowadays. Either that or I'm getting old. I vaguely remember The Real World's first season and liked it. I don't remember that first season being nasty-dramaness but I think later seasons went in that direction. I've also seen a couple of early seasons of Big Brother and that was fun. Problem for me with reality tv is that I have to like or care about the people on the show and with how gross they all tend to be, I end up getting bored and going with a different show instead. I tried watching Sister Wives (when my mother was here last year and watching it on Netfix) once, but it bothered me too much (it was the first episode and the guy seems awful and I felt sorry for a couple of the women). I'm probably just too sensitive for reality tv.
Wren

Postby little_tigress » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Am I the only one here who has never seen the real world? I got tired of reality tv early on in its hey day. Though I admit that I do enjoy watching shows like Say Yes to the Dress and the Duggars show.

I also liked the few episodes of that Amish show from last year that I was able to see. Mainly because I've always been rather fascinated for some reason by the Amish. But it is all scripted like anything else.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Amber » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:27 pm

little_tigress wrote:Am I the only one here who has never seen the real world? .

I had to Google what it was :puts on my sheltered homeschooler cloak if shame:
Amber

Postby mina » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:43 pm

Does the real world still come on anymore? Early Real world was very interesting; later it just became about who had sex and or fought with who. They try to cast people who will be controversial or super gross or super confrontational. That was the premise early on as well; but it seems to have intensified or they are casting those who are all that with less social skills.
mina

Postby little_tigress » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:17 pm

Sounds like the casting agenda of practically every reality show today :P
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Next

Return to Entertainment