3 Questions To Ask Before Watching A Movie

Discuss movies, TV, music, books, and anything that entertains the eyes, ears, and mind.

Re: 3 Questions To Ask Before Watching A Movie

Postby Wesley » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 pm

MacFall wrote:One of my questions is, "Was the movie made by a church using a skimpy negligee woven from threads of plot and character development as a come-on for their watered-down version of the gospel"? If so, I won't watch it. Nor will I watch movies that are basically self-congratulatory entertainment for people already immersed in christian pop culture.

You saw Fireproof didn't you.

Site Admin

Postby MacFall » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 pm

No, but I did see Flywheel, Facing the Giants, and Courageous by that studio. Flywheel wasn't bad, but not particularly good either. Facing the Giants was well-made, but I don't like the message. "If you FAITH hard enough, God will make the other team cheat so that yours will win by default! Oh and your wife is barren because you haven't prayed madly enough yet."

Courageous is about a total heel of a man whose kid has to die before he decides to be a dad to his other kid, which role boils down to teaching one's kids to conform to a particular set of cultural virtues. Real "courageous" there, pops. It could actually have made a good movie if they'd made the protagonist an anti-hero, but as a straightforward hero I sort of despised him.
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!

Return to Entertainment