3 Questions To Ask Before Watching A Movie

Discuss movies, TV, music, books, and anything that entertains the eyes, ears, and mind.

Postby little_tigress » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:42 am

What do you think about asking questions like this before watching something?

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/t ... ng-a-movie
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 3 Questions To Ask Before Watching A Movie

Postby Wesley » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:51 am

Getting all judgy on movie content does bring with it some interesting questions. Some folks have a gauntlet that half the books of the Bible wouldn't pass through. Others will sit and watch Human Centpide while eating seafood fettuccine.

I dunno. I really don't. =/
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Miles » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:20 pm

All things are permissible, but not everything is beneficial. I'm more likely to watch a movie that's uplifting, inspiring, educational, or fun than I am to watch one that's a downer, leaves the viewer worse the wear, or otherwise strikes me as a waste of time.

If I didn't know better, I'd say the author is trying to write himself out of watching romantic comedies with his wife or girlfriend. :roll: IMO, he'd be better off simply stating that he doesn't like the genre, and focusing instead on the kinds of movies he does like.

That being said, when I plunk down my hard-earned cash for a movie, I'm basically asking for false depictions of reality. I want to see imagination, idealism, and larger than life themes at play. If I wanted realistic depictions of reality, I'd stick to unedited documentary footage, or home videos.
Miles

Postby Ethnog » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:33 pm

I don't think I can be that serious when watching a movie. There are certain movies I don't watch like horror films but mostly if I am interested I'll take the time to watch the movie. Then when the movie is done it is fun analyzing and thinking through parts of it (especially if I know it's an oscar movie).
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby little_tigress » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:01 pm

I'll be honest. When I read the article my first thought was, "seriously? o.O"

The only movies that would likely pass this test are so-called "Christian" movies. And even then, the reason I tend to dislike christian themed entertainment is because it is so unrealistic, so it'd fail on that question.

But that being said, I think its good to be aware of what is not good for you to see. If there are things that will make you stumble in some sense, watch something else. If there are things that will bother your conscience or disturb you, watch something else. I've had to pass on movies because the subject matter wasn't good for me with certain things I struggled with. And you will never catch me watch The Human Centipede. Even the trailer was enough to disturb me.

If I didn't know better, I'd say the author is trying to write himself out of watching romantic comedies with his wife or girlfriend. :roll: IMO, he'd be better off simply stating that he doesn't like the genre, and focusing instead on the kinds of movies he does like.

I kinda got that feeling too. He does have a point though. I was watching The Lucky One with my roommate a week or two ago and when it got to the obligatory sex scene, I remember rolling my eyes and remarking, "wow, so this couple *just* met. She hated him for most of the time she's known him. Then, she changed her mind inexplicably and jumped into bed with him and now they're madly in love. All with very little actual communication passing between them. Yup that makes sense."

(sidenote: I read the book before I saw the movie. I prefer the progression from distrust to love in the book. More realistic. Not much more since it is fiction, but it works better).

So there is that sense in which romance and love are being skewed by hollywood. Its more about the physical rather than a deep intimate relationship. And that tends to be what people are chasing - a physical connection. And then people wonder why true love didn't pan out. Whether thats spurred by sinful desires or the influence of Hollywood or both... that could be a whole other discussion :D

I think yeah most people realize its fiction and so much of what is shown only happens in the movies. But I'm also pretty sure I can't be the only one who has watched a sappy movie and thought, "awww.. I wish I had a guy who loved me like that." :P
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Wesley » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:06 am

little_tigress wrote:The only movies that would likely pass this test are so-called "Christian" movies. And even then, the reason I tend to dislike christian themed entertainment is because it is so unrealistic, so it'd fail on that question.

You mean the movies that build up false notions of guaranteed outcomes and happiness, but just so long as there's no nudie bits, and un-punished bad guys, and the guys don't go shirtless and girls don't have too much makeup on then it's okay and wholesome? Those movies?

little_tigress wrote:And you will never catch me watch The Human Centipede.

Challenge: Accepted!
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby MacFall » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:16 am

I honestly believe that a sufficiently mature Christian can watch literally any movie, with the proper attitude and a critical eye, and have it not only be not-sinful, but even constructive. You can learn a lot by watching the uncensored output of someone who stands for everything you despise.

Note: I don't think I've ever met a Christian that mature. But I posit the theoretical existence of one.
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Postby mina » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:25 pm

I think you have to be responsible to your own convictions. You know if a movie or show affects your mind negatively and should take the proper steps in accordance to that. BUT, that doesn't mean you get to impose your own convictions on everyone else or try to control what others watch; unless it's your minor child.
mina

Postby Amber » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:46 am

I liked these quotes from his article:

"Therefore, we should think carefully before devoting hours of our lives to the screen, whether at home or in a theater. So in hopes of more thoughtful entertainment, here are three questions a Christian might ask before watching a movie."

First, make it a reasonable benchmark that you can sustain. Which means, don’t make overly audacious goals built on bad logic. Consider whether your movie standard, if applied to the Bible, would bar you from reading important portions of the Old Testament. And, to be sure, don’t think that biblical narratives like David and Bathsheba, or Ehud the assassin, mean it’s okay for us to watch similar scenes on screen. Be critical and sober about what you say is good to watch.

And also, be able to see the good — because most of the time, even in the darkest of movies, something true is being said about the world.

And of course, set a standard, which won’t be the same for everyone

I think the tone of the article as a whole was not passing judgment or handing out rules that every Christian should follow but a good discussion starting point for us to consider if we have any standards set up currently or if not, should there be? Or if so, should they be adjusted?
Amber

Postby MacFall » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 pm

One of my questions is, "Was the movie made by a church using a skimpy negligee woven from threads of plot and character development as a come-on for their watered-down version of the gospel"? If so, I won't watch it. Nor will I watch movies that are basically self-congratulatory entertainment for people already immersed in christian pop culture.
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Next

Return to Entertainment