Is True Atheism Possible?

Enter into respectful conversation concerning biblical topics. Be prepared to engage in mature dialog. Personal attacks and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Postby little_tigress » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:17 am

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. - Romans 1

This came up in discussion today. In light of Romans 1, do you believe it is possible for anyone to be a complete atheist and truly not believe in the existence of God? Or do you believe that anyone who claims to be an atheist is fooling themselves and know on some level that God actually exists?
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is True Atheism Possible?

Postby Edwards1984 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:29 am

Every single person knows God exists to some extent. Even the most ardent atheists believe God exists in some fashion...otherwise, why would they hate Him so much? I don't know anyone who hates fairies or hobgoblins to such an extent (and there do exist people who actually believe in those things). We also see this in the fact that many secularists (not necessarily atheists) will hate the Christian God, but either only have passive dislike or antipathy towards non-Christian concepts of deity. Why is this? Because, deep down, they know that there's a true God, and He is the one who made Himself known in Christ.

The other issue is the issue of morality. An atheist knows something is wrong because, deep down (as Paul says in Romans 1), they know there's such a thing as a divine truth in humanity that tells us what's right and what's wrong. That's why in non-Christian cultures, they have laws for rape, murder, theft, etc. - it's not because religion itself is universal, but because God's moral law is within us, and tells us when something is bad. So when an atheist on one hand declares there to be no inward truth, but at the same time thinks murder is a crime because "it's obvious," they're inadvertently admitting that God exists through His moral law.

There are plenty of ways I'm sure I'm not covering, but those are the two big ones that come to mind.
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby smackus maxiumus » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:42 am

Edwards1984 wrote:Every single person knows God exists to some extent. Even the most ardent atheists believe God exists in some fashion...otherwise, why would they hate Him so much? I don't know anyone who hates fairies or hobgoblins to such an extent (and there do exist people who actually believe in those things). We also see this in the fact that many secularists (not necessarily atheists) will hate the Christian God, but either only have passive dislike or antipathy towards non-Christian concepts of deity. Why is this? Because, deep down, they know that there's a true God, and He is the one who made Himself known in Christ.

The other issue is the issue of morality. An atheist knows something is wrong because, deep down (as Paul says in Romans 1), they know there's such a thing as a divine truth in humanity that tells us what's right and what's wrong. That's why in non-Christian cultures, they have laws for rape, murder, theft, etc. - it's not because religion itself is universal, but because God's moral law is within us, and tells us when something is bad. So when an atheist on one hand declares there to be no inward truth, but at the same time thinks murder is a crime because "it's obvious," they're inadvertently admitting that God exists through His moral law.

There are plenty of ways I'm sure I'm not covering, but those are the two big ones that come to mind.

I'd say this covers it nicely. God is easy to ignore until you're wondering why the world is such an effed up place and why a loving God would let it get so bad.
smackus maxiumus

Postby MacFall » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:40 pm

I think that it is quite possible to be convicted about God's existence, while genuinely believing that he does not exist. Conviction comes from the Spirit, but belief is a choice; and one can believe either way in the face of conviction, without really "knowing". I know many people who say they want to believe in God, but just can't in light of what they (think they) know. And all I can tell them is that belief isn't worth much in the face of certain knowledge. They don't know that I actually care about them and am not secretly planning on getting close to them to exploit them, but they choose to be my friends nonetheless. That's a form of belief: it is an interpretation of the available evidence without certain knowledge. It is the same sense in which I believe in God: not because I saw Him (though I have, since I believed), but because I chose once, at a moment of crisis, to interpret the evidence (which for me includes conviction) in favor of God's existence.

But I still wouldn't say I "know" that He exists, in the sense in which our post-Enlightenment world thinks we need to "know" something before declaring it true. In a way, the Enlightenment seems to have erected a philosophical barrier around religion, with its emphasis on empiricism and its neglect of metaphysics.
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Postby Spunkn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Nope, don't believe it's possible. as others have said, everyone knows in their hearts that there is a God, and the more people deny it the more you have to suppress the truth in unrighteousness. No one will go to hell with an excuse that they didn't know there was a God.

All who seek God will find Him, that's a promise made by God. If you don't find God, it's because you weren't really searching for Him to begin with.
Spunkn

Postby Heather » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:17 pm

little_tigress wrote:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. - Romans 1

This came up in discussion today. In light of Romans 1, do you believe it is possible for anyone to be a complete atheist and truly not believe in the existence of God? Or do you believe that anyone who claims to be an atheist is fooling themselves and know on some level that God actually exists?

That's a tough one. I believe it is possible to be a complete atheist. I was once introduced to someone that his buddy described as an atheist, because "he's too smart to be a Christian". A person has to be exposed to God during a vulnerable time in their life to believe that He exists. I believe the reason people are so angry when it comes to God and Christians is because of all the horrible things people do in His name. I don't believe that has anything to do with His existence at all. A person can believe in a moral right and wrong without knowing God.
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Postby TX_CO_Matt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:09 pm

True atheism as in no belief in anything, no guiding force or anything? No, it is not possible. At some level everyone believes in something, they may not call a god or anything related, but they still believe there is something that is behind everything.

Atheism as just no belief in a formal deity or god? Yes, it's possible and seen all the time. There are even religions that do not have a deity like many Eastern religions do.
TX_CO_Matt

Postby Spunkn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:02 am

Heather wrote:
little_tigress wrote:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. - Romans 1

That's a tough one. I believe it is possible to be a complete atheist. I was once introduced to someone that his buddy described as an atheist, because "he's too smart to be a Christian". A person has to be exposed to God during a vulnerable time in their life to believe that He exists. I believe the reason people are so angry when it comes to God and Christians is because of all the horrible things people do in His name. I don't believe that has anything to do with His existence at all. A person can believe in a moral right and wrong without knowing God.

The reason they believe in a right and wrong is because of God, he has instilled us with certain values. Without God, there would be no right and wrong. People can say they don't believe in God, but it's because they constantly suppress the truth. When we look at the world around us, the universe, how we are made, and everything else it all points to a Creator who is God.
Spunkn

Postby Dedalus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:29 am

I've met quite a few atheists who seem pretty sure that there is no God. And since I can't really know their innermost thoughts I'm extremely hesitant to say they don't truly have those beliefs or that such convictions are impossible.
Dedalus

Postby Toro » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:45 am

Atheism is possible, a person could ignore/deny God every day of their life, whether it be due to a hardened heart, or simply allowing themselves tunnel vision by focusing on whatever becomes their idol. It could be money, sex, power.... whatever. They could convince themselves God DOESN'T exist. Which after all IS the definition of an atheist.

The thing is, anyone can fool their heart and their head into believing whatever they choose, it doesn't change the fact that one day they will stand before Him, all while trying to tell Him "You don't exist."

However, while it IS possible. Most "atheists" are not true atheists. They simply won't admit that hearing the name Jesus or God, stirs something inside them. I mean I don't believe Peter Pan exists, nor do I get upset at the mentioning of a flying boy in green tights.

I was looking at podcasts to download and I was in the "religion" category and I saw an atheist podcast..... I couldn't help but chuckle at that.

I almost wanted to download one, out of morbid curiosity. Would that pod cast be nothing but silence? Or would they simply talk about nothing all day?

Cause, for people that believe in "nothing" they sure must have a lot to say about it. I mean they have their own podcast and everything.
Toro

Next

Return to Bible Studies