A sin offering for childbirth?

Enter into respectful conversation concerning biblical topics. Be prepared to engage in mature dialog. Personal attacks and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Postby little_tigress » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:28 am

Maybe someone smarter than me can shed some light on this topic.

I'm reading through Leviticus right now, and just got to chapter 12 where the laws discussing childbirth are mentioned. The fact that a woman was considered to be unclean twice as long if she had a daughter than if she had a son is bewildering to me. But then I read this:

6 “And when the days of her purifying are completed, whether for a son or for a daughter, she shall bring to the priest at the entrance of the tent of meeting a lamb a year old for a burnt offering, and a pigeon or a turtledove for a sin offering, 7 and he shall offer it before the Lord and make atonement for her. Then she shall be clean from the flow of her blood. This is the law for her who bears a child, either male or female.

Since children are declared to be a blessing from the Lord (Ps 127:3-5), can someone explain to me why a sin offering was required whenever a child was born?

I'm confuzzled :)
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Bible Studies