5 reasons to suspect Jesus never existed

Enter into respectful conversation concerning biblical topics. Be prepared to engage in mature dialog. Personal attacks and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Postby little_tigress » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:15 pm

How would you respond to these claims?

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/01/5_reaso ... r_existed/
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 5 reasons to suspect Jesus never existed

Postby Lupine » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

I guess I am not sure how I would respond to those claims being made by someone, though these are the thoughts that would go through my mind:

This website seems to be a news website rather than a scholarly website, which I don't trust.
1. There is existing documentation of his existence by Pontius Pilate. We have a book with things he made a record of during that time; you can also research it online. I think I may have read of records made by a few others, though I would have to research this more. Besides this, Yeshuah's main focus was to the lost of Israel (Matthew 10:5-6), so it would make sense if pagans did not know much about him.
2. There are many claims in this statement that are just not true. They do not know the scriptures very well and seem pretty ignorant from what they said. If something does not say something, that does not mean one can presume anything they'd like about them. Paul wrote many letters, not gospels. He was writing to people who were already Christians, so they already would have knowledge of the Gospel and events that took place, so I find the statements made here invalid.
3. Again, claims without knowledge or evidence are being made here. So many presumptions statements are made. I find it a bit amusing that at the beginning of the article the person states "A growing number of scholars are openly questioning or actively arguing against Jesus’ historicity", then go on to make all the claims that they did. Hearsay!!
4. I think that this statement made is very presumptuous as well. I really like the way that this person explains it: https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2011/ ... mpty-tomb/
5. I don't see how this is relevant. I think that it would make much more sense if they took the New Testament as history, rather than making so many assumptions and looking for things that people claim the Messiah was, which the Messiah never claimed to be by any record. The claims in this article that "Paul and the rest of the first generation of Christians searched the Septuagint translation of Hebrew scriptures to create a Mystery Faith for the Jews, complete with pagan rituals" has no backing to it whatsoever. I do have the tendency to believe that many traditions by some Christians today were originally from pagan rituals and customs, but none of these are ever endorsed in scriptures or anything written by the New Testament writers.
Lupine

Re: 5 reasons to suspect Jesus never existed

Postby little_tigress » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks for that, Lupine. Love your post :)
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Return to Bible Studies