Are heretics 'saved'?

Enter into respectful conversation concerning biblical topics. Be prepared to engage in mature dialog. Personal attacks and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Are heretics 'saved'?

Postby Touma » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:35 pm

The doctrine of Sola Fide states that man is saved by grace through faith, alone.

Ephesians 2:8 states:
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

So basically, if you have faith in Christ, God will save you.

But what if you believe something other than 'orthodox' Christianity? What if you believe one of the many heresies that have sprouted up over the ages?

For example, say a man believes that Christ died for him, and tries to follow him the best he can. However, he also believes the heresy of modalism. Is he truly saved? Or will God judge him?

What about the woman who believes the natures of Christ (both divine and human) are separate (Nestorian)? Does her proclaiming Jesus as Lord allow her to be saved. Or will she suffer wrath?

I ask this question for this purpose:

If a person can be saved, but believe really wrong things, what reason do we have for caring about doctrine? In other words, if a heretic can be 'saved' whilst believing false teachings, why should I try to convince them they are wrong in their belief? No harm done, right? After all, they are still going to Heaven.

OR

If a person can be damned for believing the wrong doctrine, whilst proclaiming Christ if Lord and Savior, then are we truly saved by Faith in Jesus alone?

OR, is there a third choice that I haven't thought of? Maybe I have unknowingly created a false dilemma.

Interested in hearing your thoughts. :)
Touma

Are heretics 'saved'?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Are heretics 'saved'?

Postby Touma » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:37 pm

And I am aware that Catholics and E. Orthodox will have a way different opinion on this matter, as they would argue that salvation is in the Church. So this is primarily directed at Reformed/Protestants.
Touma

Postby sketcher » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:57 pm

There are a lot of new Christians who aren't theologically instructed. Let's say a young Christian who has given his life to Christ and been baptized is wondering about some of the issues that those heresies try to address. He thinks one of those ideas has some weight, but he's seeking answers as best he can. Is he damned for that?

Personally, I used an argument that was technically modalist to attempt to explain the Trinity for a long time without knowing its error. When this was shown to me that it was erroneous and why, I stopped using it. If I had died the day before, would I have gone to Hell? I really don't believe so. I believe there's a difference between someone who ignorantly comes upon a bad belief and even adopts it for a while and someone who willingly rejects what Scripture has to say.
sketcher

Postby little_tigress » Sat May 03, 2014 6:26 pm

This is a good question. I'm forming my thoughts on it. But I wanted to bump this up for those smarter than I to contribute
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Rhamiel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:07 pm

a lot of it is the culpability of the people involved

there are a lot of bad ideas out there, and I do not think, that in this confusing time, people are totally culpable for false beliefs
Rhamiel

Return to Bible Studies