Is This God's Voice Or Mine?

Enter into respectful conversation concerning biblical topics. Be prepared to engage in mature dialog. Personal attacks and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Postby little_tigress » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Just reading this article, it makes me wonder more about this topic. Is something I've been pondering over for a long time and this sums up my doubts about the way God leads us individually and personally as opposed to what I've been taught growing up ("you need to feel the peace of God to know if you have His blessing! ")

So what's your take on this? Does God speak to us personally? Or is that extra-Biblical doctrine?

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/dee ... YMhzBtR.30
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is This God's Voice Or Mine?

Postby mina » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:58 pm

I just skimmed the article; sorry :| Also there wasn't a great smiley for sorry. Anyways, I think anything God has to say to people on an individual level will be confirmed by either His word, other believers, and prayer- the more of those the better. So if you get an idea in your head like; God wants me to move to India it could just be some idea that popped in your head. If God shows you that it's a valid idea worth pursuing then I think He will also bring scripture (if you are reading His word to actually be familiar with what He says and His nature), and also people into your life- like maybe someone from India will pop up in your life and be like, "we so need someone like you at our mission, church school, organization, etc", and also if you are praying about it and listening to what God has to say to you in quiet times. I think God leads with clear vision and direction and plans; sometimes we do have to trust blindly, but I don't believe He puts ideas in people's heads willy nilly without true leading and conviction from Him.

Also, if someone says to you, "I think God wants us together" and God didn't bother to tell you; then run. On the other side of the coin, I think people use "God told me this about you" just to be manipulative. If God tells someone something about you; then I believe it's only for confirmation for what He is actually doing in your life.
mina

Postby little_tigress » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:31 pm

Oh yes, I tend to be highly skeptical when I hear people say "God told me we should break up." Or "God says we should date. Where do you want to go tonight." Not to say God wouldn't speak about those things to someone, but he doesn't generally speak to one person only.

One story I remember my dad sharing with us was about some woman he went to church with when he was somewhat younger than me. She told him that God told her they were supposed to get married (AFAIK they never even dated, just to add to the creep factor) and his response was, "uh... he never told me." And then he went off and married my mother :P

I also remember being told by a friend years ago who had something of a prophet mentality that I was "doomed to spinster-hood". I just laughed. That's not something he ever told me, and I know I could have been married by now if I just wanted to be married. Maybe I won't ever marry, but that doesn't really spell "doom" to me. I really think she was projecting her own fears about relationships onto me so she wouldn't feel alone if she never married.

But the point that caught my attention was where it said how we can use this whole "listening for the voice of God" thing as a way to avoid being responsible for our own lives. I think that's true. Or at least it has been for me. I stayed in a wrong relationship for far too long (by the end I was having bad dreams about it) because I'd always been cautioned to pray over life decisions and seek God's will before taking any action. It didn't occur to me until it was almost literally spelled out for me that the relationship wasn't going anywhere and I wasn't happy because of big issues that weren't likely to change. And that should have been enough for me to say, "I'm done" long before I actually did. But I wanted God to tell me directly to leave.

Although, all that being said... there's no doubt in my mind, and never had been, that when I moved here I was moving where God was leading me. He wants me here. Why and for How long,I don't know. I just *know*I belong here. I never heard any voice telling me to move. I just knew I was supposed to be here.
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
little_tigress

Postby mina » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:30 am

yeah I think sometimes God speaks through specific circumstances. Like if you feel there is something that God wants you to do, then He is going to open doors for that to happen. But, if all the doors are closing then it's probably not what God told you for right now. Like moving to India; if that is really what you think God wants and it is; then the opportunities and doors for that will open as you act on it; but if not then it's just a thought you had.
mina

Postby Sara » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:48 pm

I didn't even read the article. Maybe I will later. ahahaha.

I think God speaks to His children, but I don't necessarily think that every idea or desire we have is of Him.

(Also, I don't think God "meddles" in our lives as much as people seem to think. I think He's just glad when we want Him there and that He's happy to oblige when we ask things of Him. If that makes sense at all. )
Love always wins.
Sara

Postby TX_CO_Matt » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:24 pm

While I do think that God does speak to people, I think "God spoke to me" or something along that line has become Christianese for "I was thinking". It's kind of like he we say pray in substitute of think (I do think that a form of thinking, meditation, is a form of prayer so it's not totally lying).
TX_CO_Matt

Postby little_tigress » Sat May 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Sara wrote:I didn't even read the article. Maybe I will later. ahahaha.

I think God speaks to His children, but I don't necessarily think that every idea or desire we have is of Him.

(Also, I don't think God "meddles" in our lives as much as people seem to think. I think He's just glad when we want Him there and that He's happy to oblige when we ask things of Him. If that makes sense at all. )

So how do you differentiate between what God is actually saying and the little ideas/desires that may be masquerading as God's voice when they're not?
little_tigress

Postby Sara » Sun May 04, 2014 3:55 pm

little_tigress wrote:
Sara wrote:I didn't even read the article. Maybe I will later. ahahaha.

So how do you differentiate between what God is actually saying and the little ideas/desires that may be masquerading as God's voice when they're not?

I don't, to be honest. I say "I think God is saying..." or I just pray "If this isn't You, God, don't let me...."

And I'm sure there's a ton of times when He's speaking that I don't realize it's Him and not me. I just try to have faith that as I do my best on this road He has put before me, He won't let me fail.
Love always wins.
Sara

Return to Bible Studies