Wait... The Bible says *that*?

Enter into respectful conversation concerning biblical topics. Be prepared to engage in mature dialog. Personal attacks and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Postby little_tigress » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:39 pm

I think we all have our little (or possibly big) passages in Scripture that we struggle to comprehend within the context of our own understanding of the Bible. Something that doesn't seem to fit or perhaps rubs us the wrong way.

What is that for you?
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Wait... The Bible says *that*?

Postby Wesley » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:10 am

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

I get it within the context of the culture, but I still think "Wait, heck with the culture..."
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby little_tigress » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:28 am

Yeah, that one really bothered me a lot when I first read that. And a long time afterwards. Knowing now why that command was given makes it easier for me to accept it. But still... When I imagine what it would have been like for a woman in that situation to have to live with him. blech. Its basically the lesser evil of a no-win situation, I guess. :/
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Touma » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:14 pm

Much of the OT is that way. Rape, genocide, God wiping out humanity, David singing praises about killing the children of his enemies.

I mean, that crap is VERY questionable. It was the greatest hindrance in accepting Christ.

Also, the bit about "Jesus loves you so much! That is why he wants to burn you in a lake of fire for eternity if you don't worship him now". Hell is a very big detriment to my faith.
Touma

Postby sketcher » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 concerned me enough that I actually asked a rabbi about it. He believes that his people are supposed to still follow it, after all. Fortunately, the onus is on the rapist to make good to the father and daughter, but by contrast the father and daughter have no obligation to go through with the marriage. Either way, the rapist has to pay the money.

Romans 13:1-6, Matthew 5:22-24,28 and 38-48, Matthew 6:14-15, Philippians 2:14, Romans 12:19-20. All these I have found to be, let's say, highly inconvenient. They're right. But many times I have wished they were not.
sketcher

Return to Bible Studies