1 Cor 6:4 - Men can't pray with their head covered, so I can't pray while I'm cycling?

Enter into respectful conversation concerning biblical topics. Be prepared to engage in mature dialog. Personal attacks and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

1 Cor 6:4 - Men can't pray with their head covered, so I can't pray while I'm cycling?

Postby Wesley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:19 am

1 Cor 6:4 says, in various translations:

KJV: "Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head."
NASB: "Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying disgraces his head."
AMP: "Any man who prays or prophesies (teaches, refutes, reproves, admonishes, and comforts) with his head covered dishonors his Head (Christ)."

Sooo, is this to mean that any head covering renders one unfit to pray? Does having any amount of head covering trip this verse? How about helmets while cycling? I've got a lot of air vents in mine, so does that count? Maybe it's only partial covering? Or is this only talking about hair?
Wesley
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 1 Cor 6:4 - Men can't pray with their head covered, so I can't pray while I'm cycling?

Postby Imperator » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:32 am

The verse makes little sense in the context of the passage, and even less sense in the modern context.

I have no doubt that the apostle was attempting to communicate something important to his audience, and I assume that the Corinthians understood him, but I don't think it has much, if any, relevancy today.
Imperator

Return to Bible Studies