Isaiah 14:12-15. Satan or King of Babylon?

Enter into respectful conversation concerning biblical topics. Be prepared to engage in mature dialog. Personal attacks and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Postby little_tigress » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:29 am

“How you are fallen from heaven,
O Day Star, son of Dawn!
How you are cut down to the ground,
you who laid the nations low!
13 You said in your heart,
‘I will ascend to heaven;
above the stars of God
I will set my throne on high;
I will sit on the mount of assembly
in the far reaches of the north;[c]
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.’
15 But you are brought down to Sheol,
to the far reaches of the pit.

so I grew up being told that this passage was specifically referring to Satan. I'm curious how you would, assuming you believe the same, would justify this from the context?
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Isaiah 14:12-15. Satan or King of Babylon?

Postby Spunkn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:31 am

I've always known it to be referred to as Satan. That seems to make the most sense from me. One of the first things he told Eve was to eat of the fruit and "you will become like God", well where did he get that idea from if he hadn't of come up with that himself? Satan, before he fell, was one of the most beautiful angels and had one of the most important jobs, was also extremely intelligent, so it is easy to see how pride could have become an issue.

King James also translates it as Lucifer. Not that you should hang everything on one translation, but often it can help give you a clue of what most translators were thinking at the time and King James is pretty solid.

Re-reading your original post, are you saying that those verses somehow go against the idea that it is Satan? Just clarifying.
Spunkn

Postby little_tigress » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:52 am

I'm not saying anything. I'm just curious how from the context one would justify saying that this is speaking about Satan.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Spunkn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:07 am

Okay, just wanted to make sure ;)
Spunkn

Postby Rhamiel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:04 am

little_tigress wrote:I'm not saying anything. I'm just curious how from the context one would justify saying that this is speaking about Satan.

I think it is talking about both

the Bible often talks about things on multiple levels, so the surface level would be about an earthly king who does evil acts and has set himself up against the will of God

on another level we can see it being about the fall of the angel Lucifer, his evilness and his defeat.

we could also go even more symbolic and see it as talking about how all those who revel in pride and violence bring about their own destruction.

I am not saying that you have to choose just one of these, I am saying that all three views are correct in their own way
you can look at it as the mundane(an ancient king), the spiritual(fall of Lucifer), and the universal(the nature of pride and rebellion) truths
Rhamiel

Return to Bible Studies