The nature of God to children

Enter into respectful conversation concerning biblical topics. Be prepared to engage in mature dialog. Personal attacks and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Postby Heather » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:50 am

How have you (or would) explain the nature of God to children?
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The nature of God to children

Postby little_tigress » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:49 am

How did this get missed? This is an excellent question.

With the kids in my care I let them bring it up with me. Even this last family that wasn't religious the older boys would talk about God. Whether he would live forever or ever die, whether he heard their prayers, etc... my previous little girl was raised in an orthodox home so religious discussion was normal and encouraged and I loved teaching her about prayer and God.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Re: The nature of God to children

Postby Wesley » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Explaining the nature of God. Hmmm... I suppose I tend to take a holistic approach. I like to take a systematic teaching style with the kids in my church (I'm on the team of Children's Church teachers). So just pick a book and grind through it piece by piece, explaining things as they go. Then that paints them a situational understanding of God, the characters in the Bible and their relationships with God, and that can tend to 1) Promote a deeper, fuller view of God, and 2) Promote better questions from them because they're understanding things form a better perspective. Thus they won't often come up with weird questions like "Can God hold his breath for more than five minutes?" Not that there's anything wrong with that kind of question, but it's kinda self explanatory if you spend a quarter of the year going through Genesis with them.
Wesley
Site Admin

Return to Bible Studies