"Be not unequally yoked" but what is yoking?

Enter into respectful conversation concerning biblical topics. Be prepared to engage in mature dialog. Personal attacks and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

Postby Wesley » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:37 pm

I've heard 2 Corinthians 6:14 bandied about quite a bit in my life.

2 Corinthians 6:14 wrote:Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

The general application that I've heard is for marriage. Meaning, a Christian should not be married to a non-believer, and this verse is pulled out as prima facie evidence. Last year I had the opportunity to become business partners in a venture that was owned and operated by an unbeliever. It would have been a small percentage of ownership in a deal known as a "silent partner." Short story: "Work for equity because we have no money!" Anyway, I heard a lot of advice from both sides of the fence. Some said I would be sinning by accepting a business partnership with an unbeliever. Others said I wouldn't be.

So I took to the books and studied the passage above. After getting into the original context, original language, and original history of the culture to which the passage was written to, I came to this conclusion: The verse is specific to a religious endeavor. In the administration of a religious endeavor, specifically preaching the gospel, do not come into partnership with a person or organization who does not share the core beliefs of salvation through Christ's atonement alone. It does not talk about a business relationship. It cannot even be used by implication to refer to business relationships. It may be used, tenuously, to refer to a marriage relationships because one of the primary purposes of marriage is to raise Godly children, and that involves (duh) preaching the gospel.

Some people I know have taken this passage to mean that you cannot even belong to a club, order, group, fraternity, sorority, or any other similar organization (Boy Scouts, etc.). I think that's just plain silly and taking the scriptures entirely out of context. Remember, the scriptures were written to people who were often times slaves or in some rather oppressive social contract. No one was counseled to revolt against their masters because of this verse. Those were way more restrictive and ownership-enforcing relationships than simple business partnerships and group membership.

So what have your studies on this passage revealed? Would you go into partnership in business with an unbeliever?
Wesley
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: "Be not unequally yoked" but what is yoking?

Postby little_tigress » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:55 pm

I think whether or not I'd enter into a business relationship with a nonChristian would depend on the same thing I'd question with a Christian: Can I trust this person? Is this a good decision for both of us? Unequally yoked wouldn't even enter my mind, honestly.

To me (un)equally yoked means to become intimately united with someone. Could be a romantic relationship. It could be friendship. It could be ministry. It could even be family. If that relationship is so close that it has the ability to affect one spiritually, then it may or may not be wise to continue in it any longer.

Thats just my first glance take on it though. I'd have to do deeper digging into the context probably to understand it more fully.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Return to Bible Studies