Faith and blessings in a relationship

Dating and Engagement. Discuss romance, love, and relationships that haven't been brought to the altar yet.

Postby Leothelioness » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:36 pm

This is something I just got to thinking about and wanted to run by y'all.

Does God require faith before He will bless you with a relationship?

What I mean by that is does He want you to pray and have faith the He will bring you that person before He actually does? I feel like I have excercised all the faith I can and still nothing. I used to pray all the time that God would bring someone wonderful into my life and now it just seems like I'm repeating myself and my prayers are becoming less sincere. I've now given up and I don't pray for it anymore. It just feels like it's falling on deaf ears and maybe God's silence is my answer. I don't know.

Does He want me to keep praying even when it feels useless? Is He withholding it from me because of lack of faith or as punishment?

Maybe y'all will have some advice to help me. :(
I deserve the best, and the best is you.
Leothelioness

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Faith and blessings in a relationship

Postby little_tigress » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:58 pm

If you look around at the world and all the unbelieving couples that have gotten together, I think you'll have your answer. Faith is not a requirement for a relationship. And I want to caution you about allowing your mind to dwell on that sort of thing for too long because it will eventually start to twist the point of the gospel. Christ didn't die so *we* could get stuff from Him. Well aside from salvation and a personal relationship with Him off course.

Faith is required to wind up with a Godly man, however. Like attracts like.

That having said... Being single can suck. Alot. Especially for us introverted girls who might find it harder to meet guys. Pushing ourselves outside our comfort zones to meet people can be hard. And praying is definitely a good thing. Do keep praying. But, if I may ask, are you doing anything besides praying and waiting?
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Leothelioness » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Honestly, not really.

As you said, I am introverted and actually quite shy around the opposite sex and I'm not a flirt at all, so I have all of those things going against me.

I have had people try and set me up and the first person I dated was someone I had been set up with and it was such a disastrous experience that I'm not really wanting to go that route again.

I just feel stuck. :/
Leothelioness

Postby mina » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:13 am

Quite honestly- right before I met my husband I had completely and utterly given up and my heart felt crushed b/c I thought my dream had died. I thought I would be alone forever and I was quiet and shy to begin with; but I retreated further and became more cynical and sad. I prayed for years for my husband and that we would recognize one another right away when we met. But, a few months before meeting him, I was numb and sad after putting myself out there for another relationship and having it crash and burn. I was thankful though at the same time, oddly, b/c most of the single guys I knew at that time in real life were pretty awful and I didn't want to be with them. So, I was in between mourning my dream and really enjoying being able to be myself, if that makes any sense at all. I was actually trying to sign up for e-harmony and one of their free weekends (which fit into nothing I was feeling) just to see if I was really utterly repulsive. But, by some glitch, my registration would never go through.
I think prayer is very important; who to be in a relationship with and thus eventually marry is one of life's most important choices. I don't regret all the ernest prayers I prayed. I think my husband is an incredible answer to those prayers, b/c by myself I think the odds were truly and massively stacked against me. A lot of times I didn't have faith that anything would be out there for me; but I prayed anyway- often being very truthful about what I was feeling and my doubtfulness and my shortcomings and disappointments. God knew what I was feeling anyway, so I never tried to hide my honest feelings with Him. I knew what the desires of my heart were and never felt convicted that they were wrong things to want; so I kept asking. I don't think you have to have perfect faith; for God to bless you in a relationship, but I do think you have to be in honest communication with Him, if that makes sense.
Last edited by mina on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mina

Postby Leothelioness » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:46 am

That makes perfect sense, Mina and you just described everything I've felt and have been going through. And I know what you mean by having the odds stacked against you. I'm definitely there.

I, too, have been honest with God about my doubts and struggles and I've prayed that He would help my faith to be stronger. I've asked for prayer from others. And everytime I feel like giving up, there's some hint of hope that springs up and compels me to pray.

I don't know, maybe it's God pushing me forward. I know I have faith based on that feeling alone, but I feel like it produces nothing. Or maybe I just haven't been patient enough. I definitely struggle with having patience. :D
Leothelioness

Postby mina » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:13 am

I struggle with patience too!!! It's hard to wait and wait and see others get what they always wanted! People used to tell me the usual singleness banter, like until you are okay being single, you will never meet someone, or pray for wanting to be married to go away and then God will bless you! I thought and think those are two terribly misguided bits of advice. For one, I think that if you are a single adult and have been by yourself for any length of time; you know what you want in life- to be married or not. And I think if you know in your heart of hearts that you don't want to be single forever, then it's okay to pray for your spouse and ask God for that. It's in His time, of course, but I thought it was stupid to tell God over and over I want to be okay with singleness forever- when I wasn't and He knew I wasn't. Wanting to be married never went away for me, and I killed being single- I had a lot going for me as a single. But, I don't see wanting to be married and knowing that you want that in life as sinful, you know unless you are making an idol of it or something obnoxious like that. To know you want to be married, to a good man, is a good thing.
mina

Postby Ethnog » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:05 am

I don't think prayer is every useless. I love the advice both Mina and LT gave so I don't know what to add.

I want to ask you though, what else do you do in your life that brings you joy? I don't mean put wanting to get married in the back of your head but are there things you do to help you ease that pain, or help with your confidence? Make you see your worth? It can really be anything? Maybe getting yourself out will help. Like walking with a friend or being the first to ask something out to coffee. And I don't mean a guy but even a girlfriend.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby Leothelioness » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:12 am

Music really keeps me grounded and is something I'm very passionate about. I feel the most comfort when I'm listening to music and singing, so that helps a lot.
Leothelioness

Postby Ethnog » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:13 am

I am glad!
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby little_tigress » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:34 am

Leothelioness wrote:Music really keeps me grounded and is something I'm very passionate about. I feel the most comfort when I'm listening to music and singing, so that helps a lot.

Have you thought about joining a community or church choir? It might make you feel more comfortable in a social setting to meet new people.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Next

Return to Serious Relationships