Soul mates

Dating and Engagement. Discuss romance, love, and relationships that haven't been brought to the altar yet.

Soul mates

Postby Ethnog » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Do you believe in soul mates? If so can you have one or many? From both sexes? And how long can you know someone until you can say they are truly your soul mate?
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Soul mates

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Soul mates

Postby little_tigress » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:49 pm

From a theological perspective, no. I don't think God created us with half souls and fated us to find that one person who is literally our other half.

(I know thats not really what you meant, but figured someone would bring it up. So I beat them to the punch :D)

But I do think it is possible to have deep connections with other people that we don't even understand. I know I've felt drawn to people before, without really knowing them. But once I did get to know them, it was like, "wow. There's another me in this world!"

And that isn't limited to just the romantic sense.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby mina » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:59 am

yes; but I think it's possible to have more than one soul mate; just not at the same time. I think there are options available out there to us and when we find someone that "completes" you, so to say, you had better choose to hang on to them instead of shopping around for someone better.
mina

Postby Ethnog » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:56 am

Yeah I don't think it's always just romantic either. For me I've had a few people who just get me in my life. I don't know if they are my soul mates but they understand and know the real and rawness of who I am.
Ethnog

Postby Toro » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:01 am

Like LT said, Not in a sense of not being complete but yes.

I do believe that God created one person for someone. (In the romantic sense)

I also believe that there are those friends that we truly "need" (Non romantic)

Being I believe God has a plan for all things, even the small trivial.... the outcome is known to Him... so, he DID create that person (romantically) and put those friends (non romantically) in a place at a certain time to be there. I think that is why some friendships end without rhyme or reason..... those friends have simply been there for you and you for them at the time it was needed...... then.... they go their own ways.

Friends for life is a rare and beautiful thing, very optimistic, not so much realistic. I try to be a friend for life, but life is a busy thing and it just happens some times. No harsh feelings, just different paths.

If God created us all with purpose and wants us to "settle down" into a monogamist relationship known as marriage for life..... by His own words. If it is in your heart to want to be with someone,then there is "the one" for you. Someone he made for you, it just comes down to weeding out the bad ones and refusing to settle for anything less than amazing. Most people simply settle and those are the marriages that tend to fail.

Just my opinion on the subject. Yes he creates us all for our own purpose, but, He also created within us the desire to have someone...... He wouldnt create us with that desire, only to not create "the one" for someone.
Toro

Postby Ethnog » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:04 am

I have three friends over 10 years and one 25+ Years. I don't see or talk to them everyday but when I do it's beyond joyous. They have been there for me and my family with everything.* I see now how God has played a huge role in that.
Ethnog

Postby Lupine » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:32 am

Once upon a time I believed very much in the thought of soulmates. Now I am not quite certain. The idea of there being another person out there who would complete you perfectly, as your lost half, is very dreamy and a desirable thought, but realistically life isn't really that way. In marriage, I do believe that two should become as one...though this is two people who have committed their lives to each other for better or for worse. Maintaining a good, healthy and loving relationship takes time, nurturing, and care. It isn't always perfect or easy, but that is what makes it all the more beautiful.

I guess in a way I still believe in soulmates, though not in the same light as I had before. I think that God can and does bring the right person into our lives that we can connect very deeply with, and I have met people who have very beautiful marriages like this, which I dearly hope to experience one day. I think that it is also possible to find friendships in people where you develop a deep connection and seem to even think alike; I have only experienced this a few times and they were wonderful, though I lost some with time, which wasn't easy then, but I am thankful for having them in my life when I did.
Lupine

Postby Lupine » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:36 am

Ethnog wrote:I have three friends over 10 years and one 25+ Years. I don't see or talk to them everyday but when I do it's beyond joyous. They have been there for me and my family with everything.* I see now how God has played a huge role in that.

That is really sweet that they have been there for you and your family so long like that. I love hearing about such friendships. :)
Lupine

Postby mina » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Just to add to what I said before, I think that "soul mateness" can grow over time. If you meet someone and you don't hit it off (in friendship or in a romantic sense); I think it's possible to develop and nurture a deep meaningful relationship. I don't know if I believe in soul mates in the the sense of this is the only person for you type of thing.
mina

Postby Miss Spaulding » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:36 am

mina wrote:Just to add to what I said before, I think that "soul mateness" can grow over time. If you meet someone and you don't hit it off (in friendship or in a romantic sense); I think it's possible to develop and nurture a deep meaningful relationship. I don't know if I believe in soul mates in the the sense of this is the only person for you type of thing.

I think this basically sums up what I think about it.
“I will cling to the rope God has thrown me in Jesus Christ, even when my numb hands can no longer feel it.”
-Sophie Scholl
Miss Spaulding

Next

Return to Serious Relationships