age range... How young/old is too much?

Dating and Engagement. Discuss romance, love, and relationships that haven't been brought to the altar yet.

Postby little_tigress » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:22 am

(Inspired by the bold 22 year old who just tried talking me up)

What kind of age difference would you consider in a potential relationship? 2 years? 5? 10? 45?
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: age range... How young/old is too much?

Postby Wesley » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:27 am

What's the official unofficial rule? Half your age plus seven? So that puts the youngest person that should ask you (little_tigress) out at roughly 15 years old. If anything I'd say that guy chatting you up was way too old.

Oddly, the half your age plus seven rule seems to be fairly okay. You want someone reasonably within your generation to have commonality with, otherwise you end up explaining things to them that fly over their head and feel like you're babysitting. Well... apparently something changes when a guy hits his 40s and then you're perfectly willing to overlook the generation gap for a 21 year old who likes your convertible.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby brokeredone » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:40 am

18 to my current age.
brokeredone

Postby little_tigress » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:44 am

Wesley wrote:What's the official unofficial rule? Half your age plus seven? So that puts the youngest person that should ask you (little_tigress) out at roughly 15 years old. If anything I'd say that guy chatting you up was way too old.

Oddly, the half your age plus seven rule seems to be fairly okay. You want someone reasonably within your generation to have commonality with, otherwise you end up explaining things to them that fly over their head and feel like you're babysitting. Well... apparently something changes when a guy hits his 40s and then you're perfectly willing to overlook the generation gap for a 21 year old who likes your convertible.

15 is have my age plus 7...I lost 12 years?

:P
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
little_tigress

Postby Spunkn » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:42 am

I have no hard rules. Having said that, I would be wary of anyone who is under 20 due to most people under 20 being fairly immature. I'd probably be wary of anyone over say 40, but I wouldn't rule it out either. It would very much depend on the circumstances.

There's a huge difference in someone's age, and someone's level of maturity. As long as someone is mature both in personality and their faith, then age doesn't matter all that much to me I guess as long as I'm attracted to them.

Different stages of life can also make a big difference is well, which is what usually seperates people in age groups, but not always.
Spunkn

Postby Wesley » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:45 am

little_tigress wrote:
Wesley wrote:What's the official unofficial rule? Half your age plus seven? So that puts the youngest person that should ask you (little_tigress) out at roughly 15 years old. If anything I'd say that guy chatting you up was way too old.

15 is have my age plus 7...I lost 12 years?

:P

Well you're like, 16... right?
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby little_tigress » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:36 am

Ever notice that every time we have this discussion I lose two years? First time I was 20 and it was flattering. Now I'm 16 and expecting Chris Hansen to walk through the door any time a guy talks to me : P
little_tigress

Postby Wesley » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:10 am

little_tigress wrote:Ever notice that every time we have this discussion I lose two years? First time I was 20 and it was flattering. Now I'm 16 and expecting Chris Hansen to walk through the door any time a guy talks to me : P

Before long you'll be picked up by a truant officer and shipped back to first grade.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby MacFall » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:00 am

I'm gonna be honest and admit that I'm not comfortable dating women more than a couple of years older than me. Is it because I'm attracted to women who are younger than me? ...Maybe.

In the other direction, I tend towards the "half your age plus seven" rule. But just as a guideline, more than a rule. If I met a lady who was, say, 20 years old but just as mature as I am, I'd be okay with that.
No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
MacFall

Postby Wren » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:50 pm

If I was still single, I'd stick with my fully cooked rule. A guy would need to be at least 25. I broke that rule once and regretted it. Otherwise, I think age is less of a factor. (For the record, there's only one year difference between me and my husband.)
Wren

Next

Return to Serious Relationships