Dating sites

Dating and Engagement. Discuss romance, love, and relationships that haven't been brought to the altar yet.

Dating sites

Postby little_tigress » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:03 am

we've already talked a little bit about them in other threads, but I thought I'd make a thread just for this topic.

Would you use them? Have you used them? What were your experiences?

Is there anything to the claims that I hear from a lot of people who believe that dating sites mean that you don't have faith in God to write your love story for you?
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Dating sites

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Dating sites

Postby smackus maxiumus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:51 am

I've met a few winners on Plenty of Fish. Then I met a really cool gal that I'm "talking" to right now.

I've also used OKCupid. That seems better than POF. I used eHarmony a while back, but they couldn't find a match for me in my time zone.

I'm still living the bachelor's life, and that means drinking straight from the milk carton and being able to cultivate habits that would make any sane woman want to stab me with a pen.
smackus maxiumus

Postby Touma » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 am

I've used only Christian Mingle. I talked to about 4 or 5 girls.

One was really sweet, but we never got to meet up. One was nice, but not my type. One was a freak-o! She tried having phone sex with me. Nope!

Another became a friend of mine. And the last one was my current g.f. :)
Touma

Postby brokeredone » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:05 am

I'm currently failing at OKCupid.

Of course, what I'm looking for is a rather small percentage of the population within this area (since I can't take NYC into account), so I'm sort of starting off on a bad foot as it is.

EDIT: a friend of mine is swimming in fat girls (the number, not the actual fatness) on POF....I borrowed his page and could only find a handful of girls that I thought were okay. Not worth getting even more emails from people I'm not interested in, IMO.
brokeredone

Postby Wesley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:00 am

little_tigress wrote:Would you use them? Have you used them? What were your experiences?

Would I? Yes. Have I? Yes. Experiences? Nothing to write home about. ;)

I joined PoF for giggles. I'm kicked around the idea of gk2gk. Never tried a site intended for Christians, so that's probably my problem. I think most of the dating sites tend to devolve into hookup sites. I'm not interested much anymore. gk2gk intrigued me, but that scene is rife with skeptics and nonbelievers, so that's pretty much not a wise thing for me to wade into. I always end up hitting on the atheist chicks... not sure why. :roll:

little_tigress wrote:Is there anything to the claims that I hear from a lot of people who believe that dating sites mean that you don't have faith in God to write your love story for you?

Proverbs 18:22 "He who finds a wife finds a good thing And obtains favor from the LORD.", Proverbs 31 being written from a mother to a son about looking for a good woman, God seeking his bride, the general warnings against being slothful and trusting in happenstance... yeah I think we're supposed to intentionally seek spouses, just like we're to seek gainful employment, cook our food, and put shoes on in the morning. :mrgreen:

smacarena wrote:I've met a few winners on Plenty of Fish. Then I met a really cool gal that I'm "talking" to right now.

I had no idea! How many juicy details are you willing to share. :D

smacarena wrote:I'm still living the bachelor's life, and that means drinking straight from the milk carton and being able to cultivate habits that would make any sane woman want to stab me with a pen.

I think I level-capped a while ago and can make any sane woman want to light me on fire and spit on the ashes.

brokeredone wrote:I'm currently failing at OKCupid.

Of course, what I'm looking for is a rather small percentage of the population within this area (since I can't take NYC into account), so I'm sort of starting off on a bad foot as it is.

OKC seems like the hookiest-uppiest of the non-blatant hookup sites out there, no? I mean, it's like one step above Adult Friend Finder and Grindr. :P
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Zombie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 am

little_tigress wrote:we've already talked a little bit about them in other threads, but I thought I'd make a thread just for this topic.

Would you use them? Have you used them? What were your experiences?

Is there anything to the claims that I hear from a lot of people who believe that dating sites mean that you don't have faith in God to write your love story for you?

I've used dating sites in the past with no "success" (I never went on a date with any of the women I talked to). I found that many of the women I spoke with were very, very eager to fall in love with "the idea of Mr. Right," and assumptions were made about me that weren't true; I also made many assumptions that were equally untrue, so I found it to be a very poor medium to meet people.

That has not been the case for all of my friends and family, however, and I have met several who met their husband or wife online through dating sites. I don't see using dating sites as a "lack of faith," because there's nothing that states God can't write your love story in that way. It just didn't work out well for me. After praying about it, I left dating sites behind because they fostered an attitude of "dating just to date" rather than working on personal development.

I am open to starting a relationship with someone from a distance on the Internet, but I am also a person who believes in friendship before dating. That having been said, I think the Internet can be a very helpful and healthy barrier between two mutually attracted people, so they can develop friendship before going through all the tension that Internet dating sites can sometimes encourage.
Zombie

Postby Heather » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:13 pm

I would use them and I have used them. I believe God helps those who help themselves, so why not?

Hmmm, I'm wondering if geography plays a bigger role in dating success than the actual site? I used Christian Mingle and made a friend. I used OKC and found that most of the guys there were more educated and looking for more than a bed buddy. And, ironically enough, I met my current bf on POF. I kept a profile there because I figured everyone, at least once, joins so I'd have a better chance of success. There are a lot of creeps and weirdos (like the guy who told me he communicated with big foot on a regular basis and what I should do to get close to one). Honestly I didn't expect to REALLY find a quality person on POF but I did. And I've recommended friends to the sites too.
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Postby Wesley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Heather wrote:(like the guy who told me he communicated with big foot on a regular basis and what I should do to get close to one).

You just gave me the biggest actual laugh-out-loud moment of the day. :lol:
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Wesley wrote:
Heather wrote:(like the guy who told me he communicated with big foot on a regular basis and what I should do to get close to one).

You just gave me the biggest actual laugh-out-loud moment of the day. :lol:

You laugh now but just you wait! One day you'll meet a big foot and wish you knew their secret!

Nah, I'll just tell you the key is that they're gift givers. Bring them a gift of any kind and you're part of the pack. This information came from the expert man himself.

Now if you become a skin suit for an oversized gorilla, it's on your own head.
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Postby mina » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:00 am

I don't believe there is anything wrong with using them; I think God can use anything to bring the right person into your life. People seem to find the one God intended for them when they are looking, not looking, not sure if they are looking, don't want to be found, etc... so I'd say if you aren't convicted to not use them then it's not that big of a deal. I never used them when I was single. I tried signing up for E-harmony on one of their free weekends, but their site would never let me register. I don't know why; I even e-mailed their tech support, but they never answered me. I had a roommate that used online dating sites; she went on a few dates and I think it's how she met her husband. One of her dates really mis-represented himself though using an old picture. It was kind of creepy; but it made for a good story.
mina

Next

Return to Serious Relationships