Love languages

We're called ChattyChristians.com for a reason! If you can't find a place for it anywhere else, post it here!

Re: Love languages

Postby Amber » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Gifts have always been my top one. Its why my bookshelves are filled with small mementos people have given me over the years. I like the physical reminder. I also tend to give love with gifts, which is tough, because it is the rare person that will admit to gifts being their love language.

Quality time is a close second, followed by acts of service then words of affirmation and physical touch is non-existent.
Amber

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AshLynne_NC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:36 pm

My love language? Hmm, I have no clue. I hate to think that we're all constricted to just 5 ways of showing/feeling love.

What makes me love my husband the most? When I come home after a busy day and he says: "Hey, I cleaned up the house. Are you hungry? I'll make dinner."
Love, it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you-- it will set you free; be more like the man you were made to be. There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see the beauty of love as it was made to be.Mumford and Sons, Sigh No More
AshLynne_NC

Postby Wren » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:12 pm

AshLynne_NC wrote:My love language? Hmm, I have no clue. I hate to think that we're all constricted to just 5 ways of showing/feeling love.

What makes me love my husband the most? When I come home after a busy day and he says: "Hey, I cleaned up the house. Are you hungry? I'll make dinner."

Sounds like Acts of Service. That's a biggy for me, too.
Wren

Postby Marycita » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:05 pm

11 Physical Touch
9 Words of Affirmation
6 Quality Time
4 Acts of Service
0 Gifts

Physical touch has always been the biggest one for me. I'm surprised that this time I took it, words of affirmation beat quality time. For a long while, they were always tied for second. Gifts have always been that low.
Last edited by Marycita on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marycita

Postby Marycita » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Oy....pressing quote instead of edit to fix typos..don't mind me :lol:
Last edited by Marycita on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marycita

Postby Edwards1984 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Here are mine:

9 Physical Touch
8 Words of Affirmation
7 Quality Time
5 Acts of Service
1 Receiving Gifts
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Miles » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:36 pm

1. Quality time
2. Words of affirmation
3. Physical touch
4. Acts of service
5. Gifts

My top three are fairly close, and "gifts" is a distant fifth. It's possible that a acts of service might be higher if I was married.
Miles

Postby Wesley » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Amber wrote:Gifts have always been my top one. Its why my bookshelves are filled with small mementos people have given me over the years. I like the physical reminder. I also tend to give love with gifts, which is tough, because it is the rare person that will admit to gifts being their love language.

It does seem to be rare - however looking back I think my father had that as a high-up language. I didn't recognize it then; now I can see how tough it is for people to be around each other who have polar opposite ways of preferring to express their love.

Hey, I wonder if God's primary language is gift giving. I'm sure He's of course the master of them all, but He does seem to be prone to giving more than anything else. Maybe you're closer to God's character than any of the rest of us grabby, gushy bunch. :P

Marycita wrote:Oy....pressing quote instead of edit to fix typos..don't mind me :lol:

You can delete your own posts if you want.

Marycita wrote:11 Physical Touch

Edwards1984 wrote:Here are mine:

9 Physical Touch

I swear I have never met a more grabby bunch. I always thought it was 1) Less common, and 2) A less "intelligent" or "character driven" means of expressing love. I don't really know how to put it; but it was not something that was terribly encouraged or honored beyond simple little-kid hugs when very young. EEEE-nteresting. Seems like you and the missus are very well aligned for each other. :)

Miles wrote:1. Quality time
2. Words of affirmation
3. Physical touch
4. Acts of service
5. Gifts

My top three are fairly close, and "gifts" is a distant fifth. It's possible that a acts of service might be higher if I was married.

So you want to spent lots of time saying sweet things to someone while cuddling? Sounds like you won't be getting a tan anytime soon... :lol:
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby little_tigress » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Mary and Edwards... you have the exact same love language lists. its only the numbers that differ slightly.

Thats just eery. in a good way :D
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Amber » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Wesley wrote:
Amber wrote:Gifts have always been my top one. Its why my bookshelves are filled with small mementos people have given me over the years. I like the physical reminder. I also tend to give love with gifts, which is tough, because it is the rare person that will admit to gifts being their love language.

It does seem to be rare - however looking back I think my father had that as a high-up language. I didn't recognize it then; now I can see how tough it is for people to be around each other who have polar opposite ways of preferring to express their love.

Hey, I wonder if God's primary language is gift giving. I'm sure He's of course the master of them all, but He does seem to be prone to giving more than anything else. Maybe you're closer to God's character than any of the rest of us grabby, gushy bunch. :P

You need to find someone who their love language is Words of Affirmation. It's your specialty ;)

I'm not sure how far I buy into the love languages theory of compatibility (wherein you have to match your love languages so you can full fill your spouses needs). I can see that it would be tough if neither party were willing to ask their spouse how they can affirm and build each other up but I also see mixing love languages as a way to practice doing what we all should be doing anyway- meeting needs without getting something for ourselves. I mean, most couples will go on to have kids that will not have their own love language so if they think they can trip and skip through life without needing to know how to give/receive love apart from their primary love language, well, they are in trouble :lol:

little_tigress wrote:Mary and Edwards... you have the exact same love language lists. its only the numbers that differ slightly.

Thats just eery. in a good way :D

I thought that was funny too. I think we need all the married members to share how their spouses stack up and what the pros/cons are to either matching or not matching.
Amber

PreviousNext

Return to Chat Lounge