are leggings sinful?

We're called ChattyChristians.com for a reason! If you can't find a place for it anywhere else, post it here!

are leggings sinful?

Postby little_tigress » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 pm

I assume everyone has read this, or heard talk about this at some point in the last few weeks. But I'd like to discuss it.

What are your thoughts? Are leggings a stumbling block to men that should be avoided? Or should we expect men to accept our fashion choices and learn to control their thought lives better? Something in between?

http://veronicapartridge.com/why-i-chos ... r-leggings
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

are leggings sinful?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: are leggings sinful?

Postby Wren » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:10 am

No, but then again, I think women should be able to walk naked down the street with men being able to control themselves like the non-feral creatures they are. Honestly, one the one hand, some men (and women speaking of men) can use the "but I'm visual" as an excuse to not control themselves. But really it's rather insulting to men. They aren't these wild beasts who can't control themselves and must gawk, harass, and some even rape because of how women are dressed. (Obviously rape has nothing to do with how a woman is dressed, but the excuse is still used and the question "what was she wearing" is still asked.) If men are constantly dragged into sin every time they see that a woman has a body, he has got bigger issues than clothing and needs to work on himself.

Men don't worry about causing lust in women when they jog shirtless. So, women, keep on wearing those leggings if you want to.

Ok, I actually read the linked. She talks about setting a good example, but I wonder if it instead teaches body shaming. "Oh, you better cover up your nasty sin inducing body." Obviously I'm exaggerating a little to make a point, but I do wonder how that comes across to growing girls. I wasn't raised in that kind of environment, so I wouldn't really know. I was taught, "don't dress like a slut or else don't be surprised if you aren't treated with respect" which is problematic in it's own right, but very different than teaching that your body can cause sin.
Wren

Postby little_tigress » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:22 am

Interesting starting point, Wren. Here, it's legal for women to be topless in public. Very few actually do it, but there it is.

Anyway the guy in the morning show I listen to as I drive in mentioned seeing such a woman while he was out and about and got very awkward talking about it on the air. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to look, or not look, or how to respond to this woman who was just sitting there minding her own business.

I have no point to this story other than to share a man's awkwardness with the world.
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
little_tigress

Postby Wren » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:32 am

I don't think it's a big deal to look as in glance, but I don't see the need for gawking. I mean, if a guy is jogging or biking or whatever shirtless, I look. I don't drool, gawk, or cat-call. I'm not interested in making the guy uncomfortable, but I look and acknowledge to myself that a well chiseled (if that's the case) man is near me.

Frankly, I look at women in form fitting clothes, too. I don't think "wow, I'd like to sleep with her" or anything like that. I'm more likely to think "wow, she's got a great butt. I wish I had a great butt like that."

That guy I think demonstrates the problem with labeling a body as sinful or sin-inducing. It makes people awkward and unsure of how to act.
Wren

Postby Ethnog » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:37 am

I agree with Wren. Personally, if I were a man I would feel insulted if told I am weak and can't control myself buy what women wear. A grown man can and should be able to "control" themselves.
However, as a woman I look too. I don't stare or make anyone uncomfortable. But, men look at me too. All the time. And it don't have to be wearing leggings. In fact most of the comments I've ever gotten from men was when I was wearing jeans.
I'm tired of people enabling young women hate themselves even more. So many already have body issues, this seems even more unnessaracy and hurtful.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby Toro » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:45 am

If being good lookin is wrong........ I don't wanna be right.

As for do I think its a sin.

No. Yes, it can make people look. As a man, I look.... but its not the womans fault she looks good. Id look anyway leggings or not.

If clothing that leads to people looking out of attraction is sinful........ anything less than 15 layers a hoodie and a veil is sin.

I can control myself, I do it all the time when I am dating a woman out of respect and don't look. Why would I? Yes Im human, but I only look when I am on the market.

If I am off the market, the one I am with is more than enough to keep my attention.

However single, I will look and under appropriate circumstances will approach and flirt.
Toro

Postby Wesley » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:57 am

Interesting and complex topic. It comes down to a few key things in my eyes:

• What one considers to be the intent of the word choice for lust in the bible. Is lust an admiring glance? Is it a lingering watching? Is it a very deliberate and specific undressing of a person and visualizing a sexual act?
  • The dual responsibility of the luster and the lustee in various passages that relate to both members in that scenario. It's the eyeball owner's responsibility to not lust. But is there not a responsibility for discretion in situations where something may reasonably encourage someone to stumble? The Bible strongly implies that there are two responsibilities here. One for the luster and one for the lustee.
  • The topic of what the Bible speaks on concerning nakedness and modesty. While the OT is not to be lived out legalistically, there are actual explicit references to what parts of the body are/were considered outright nakedness and those areas wouldn't be covered by patches of cloth roughly the size of napkins. The idea was that nakedness was to be covered, and not to be shown. "Shown" apparently meant both the baring of the skin skin as well as applying a covering that didn't adequately obscure, like for example body paint on mah harbles proooooobably wouldn't cut it. How do we look at that on the other side of Grace? Or is the OT just a cultural note that would be entirely an anachronistic if it were in any way used today. Should we largely ignore the OT because it's only showing the values of a specific culture in a specific time that God worked within, but didn't intend any of it to be used for guidance later on?

The notion of asking "What was she wearing?" when you hear about someone who was sexually assaulted is unutterably outrageous. People don't generally get up in arms when someone forgets to lock their home or store and then gets easily robbed. No one immediately thinks "Oh did you lock your house? Did you set the alarm? Did your house look too nice? Were you asking for it by making a spectacle of your landscape?" Yeah, you should be mindful of evil people in this world and it's a good idea to lock your car and house, of course.

So are jeggings sinful?

Code: Select all
As pure as snow   Jeggings                                                                        Satan incarnate
^ [===================|=================================================================================] ^
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby little_tigress » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:19 am

I think my own thoughts are pretty similar to whats all been posted already.

I am glad she posted a disclaimer that the post was nothing more than her sharing what she's felt convicted of. I have no problem if someone else might feel convicted against it. And I have no problem with them sharing that with the world. Although I kinda smirked when she qualified her new rule about not wearing leggings in public unless she was wearing a top long enough to cover her bum. Thats how you're supposed to wear them. They're not pants (well a lucky few can get away with it, but still...). Unless she meant yoga pants. *shrugs*

Anyway, I don't feel like I'm sinning by wearing them. I feel comfortable in them. I practically live in my leggings and yoga/sweat pants. Working with little kids all day, you need to dress comfortably. It just works in my favour that they're also fashionable. I respect her convictions, but I don't feel the need to conform to them. Like ethie said, I get hit on/checked out pretty much regardless of what I wear.

That being said, I do have a pair of yoga pants. Its my favourite pair. The only pair of pants that are *just* slightly too long for me. But oh so comfortable, and I do seem to get more attention when I wear them. So because I dislike strangers hitting on me or ogling me, I try to only wear those if I'm working or hanging around the house now. I don't think I'm in sin if I wear them in public though. Maybe it makes me look good, but my attitude is still modest. I'm not wearing them for attention or to flaunt my body.

I also agree that it could be taken as insulting to men. And shifting the blame. Especially if we're talking about Christian men. We are not slaves to sin anymore. There may be areas where we struggle, but it doesn't own us. Even nonChristians are capable of respectful thought patterns.

And I think there is a balance between shaming and blaming the opposite sex for personal sin and being right in your face and flaunting it. I do dress modestly, and I do think its respectful to others to dress modestly. But at the same time, modesty is very much both a personal and culture thing. In some the circles where I grew up, a woman wearing pants could be a sign of immodesty. But no one I know now would say that. They'd laugh at the very thought.

A man who is struggling with lust is going to struggle away whether I'm wearing leggings or a burka. I can't and won't take responsibility for that.

Oh and I look at men and women too. I just can't remember the last time I saw a shirtless man who was ripped and my mind went, "SEX!" I don't think thats ever happened. Though I definitely do appreciate the view. And I may subtly do a double or triple take. Why are those guys so rare, anyway? It always seems to be the out of shape guys who want to run shirtless. *sigh*

I'm rambling. And probably not making much sense. I need to get some sleep.
little_tigress

Postby little_tigress » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:24 am

Also I like my jeggings too :)
little_tigress

Postby mina » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:45 pm

No, but they aren't pants either and should not be worn as they are. Camel toes are a sin...... of fashion.
mina

Next

Return to Chat Lounge